It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Adam Gauthier for Trisha Burrows, Zak Likely for Kim Mason, Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene and Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell.
Happy Birthday to Jake Doucette, Nicholas Leeco and Anthony McGuigan. Also, belated wishes to Tori Fraser, Taylor Marlin and Victoria Pineau who celebrated on Wednesday!
Christmas Dance will be held this Friday from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:30 pm. Today is the last day to purchased tickets, at lunch only. Please buy early to avoid big line ups. The cost is $10/ticket or $8 with your SPC Card. Students are reminded that your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. A Christmas Dance Contract must be signed by your parents or guardians and presented to the ticket seller before a ticket is purchased.
Highlights for Today:
- Today is the last day to purchase Christmas Dance tickets. Tickets will be sold during lunch break.
- The SAVE cake auction was a success on Tuesday. The staff and students of MRHS managed to raise $154 for Free the Children. Keep in mind the SAVE Door Decorating Contest will be judged today at the end of A block. The winning class will get pizza from Famous Peppers. And today is Purple Day. If 75% of students wear purple today, then we all get an extra 10 minutes added onto lunch break.
- Christmas turkey dinner will be tomorrow. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Students: If you have any concerns about school photos, could you please let Mrs. Killeen, so she can look into it. Thank you.
- Mrs. Killeen would like to extend a huge thank you to Ms. Anderson and her culinary class for preparing the fantastic refreshments for Hugh Macdonald’s book launch Tuesday night in the library. Many thanks to Yvonne Higgins and Dawn Martell for their contributions prior to the launch.
- Special thanks to students Trent McGuigan, Amelia Hameline and Rowan Halliday for their participation! It wouldn’t have been successful without any of you!! Thanks to all who attended!
- Grad Clothing is on sale in Room 141 from 12:00-12:30 this week.
- Any students who are interested in becoming a tutor in the new MRHS Peer Ed Tutoring Program should see Ms. Christie Beck or Ms. Kelly Pike to sign up. Students will receive community service bursary hours for the hours that he or she tutors.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Men’s Basketball team bus will depart for Colonel Gray at 4pm today.
- Athletic Department Fundraiser: Island Storm Basketball plays Moncton Miracles on Tuesday, December 10, at 7 pm. Tickets are only $5! Tickets are available to purchase at the ticket booth during morning break and from 11:43am to noon each day.
- Due to vandalism that has occurred in the men’s locker room, the doors will be locked at 3:30, then unlocked from 4:00-4:15. Access to the locker room after that time will be through the supervisor of the athletic activity.
- Viking Athletic clothing is on sale in the ticket booth every day at morning break and the beginning of lunch, indefinitely!
- Some fall athletes still have uniforms to be returned to Ms. Dowd! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13, Anthony McGuigan #2
- Men’s Soccer: Dylan Lowery, Trevor Wheeler #3
- Women’s Soccer: Jory Donvan #16, Alisha MacDonald #5
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Allee Gallant #3, Emily Evans #14
- Field Hockey: Ali White #18, Maddy Delodder, Chloe Chapman #5, Jojo Orsatti #11
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre. Today is mandatory practice for all powerlifters as the yearbook photo will be taken. Please be change and be ready by 3:15 sharp!
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Cons.
- Readers’ Circle will meet in the conference room of the library today at 12:05pm. This will be the last session for 2013!!! Please see Mrs. Killeen for any further information.
- Scholastic book orders are due TOMORROW, to ensure delivery for Christmas. Books make awesome Christmas gifts and there are books for all ages in the flyers. Stop by the library and see Mrs. Killeen for more details. Cash or cheques accepted.
- The “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is still open for entries! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
- A representative from Saint Thomas University will be here at Student Services on December 6 between 9 and 10am to do an information session and admission on the spot with no application fee (for this event only). Please sign up in Student Services as well as get permission from you’re a Block teacher.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership (Dec.6)
- 1800 Wheelchair Canada (Jan 5)
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- House of Commons Page Program (Dec. 9)
- Holland College is hosting their annual Open College Day today from 12 to 6 pm. It will be held at the Center for Community Engagement in the gymnasium off of Grafton Street. There will be representation from all programs offered at Holland College. There will be interactive displays, career assessments, live entertainment from our music students, campus tours and more
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation 3:00 pm January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- If you would like this year’s yearbook, you now need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price is now $50 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions! If you don’t order, you will not get a yearbook in June!
- See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- There will be a meeting on Friday in room #133 at 12:00 for anyone who is interested in attending CSLC 2014 in Kelowna, BC.
- On Thursday, December 19, 2013, at the Chapters Indigo store in Charlottetown, there will be a fundraiser for the library from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. A portion of all regular priced sales will go towards the purchases of Kobo books, fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels. This is a great way to finish up your Christmas shopping and support the library. The MRHS choir will be on site entertaining shoppers with their musical talents. The library will be closed after school on this day for library staff to attend fundraiser. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Public Service Announcements:
- Montague Shoppers Drug Mart is having a Christmas Gala on December 5 from 4:00 to 9:00pm. Tickets are $10, but $5 comes back to you that evening and $5 goes to the Look Good, Feel Better Program. Everyone goes home with a goody bag of makeup and/or cosmetics and you’ll have opportunities for free facials, manicures, makeovers, or skin consultations. Book your ticket now!
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.