It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Andrew Murchison for Ralph Jamieson, Marie Irene Campbell for Lynn Hayes, Zack Likely for Mary-Ellen Lowther, Sherri MacKenzie for Kelly Matheson and Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell.
Happy Birthday to Brook MacTavish.
Christmas Dance will be held this Friday from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased until Wednesday, December 4, at lunch only. Please buy early to avoid big line ups. The cost is $10/ticket or $8 with your SPC Card. Students are reminded that your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. A Christmas Dance Contract must be signed by your parents or guardians and presented to the ticket seller before a ticket is purchased.
Highlights for Today:
- Today, SAVE will be hosting a Cake Auction in the cafeteria at 12:00 with Earl Campbell as auctioneer. Proceeds will go to Free the Children. Students and staff are encouraged bid on these delicious cakes!
- Cafeteria will not be open for afternoon break today.
- Auditions for the solos for the Christmas Concert for choir will be held today at 3:10 in the music room.
- There will be a meeting in room #133 at 12:00 for anyone who is interested in attending CSLC 2014 in Kelowna, BC.
- Christmas Dance tickets are on sale until Wednesday during lunch break. Only three days left!
- Grad Clothing is on sale in Room 141 from 12:00-12:30 this week.
- Any students who are interested in becoming a tutor in the new MRHS Peer Ed Tutoring Program should see Ms. Christie Beck or Ms. Kelly Pike to sign up. Students will receive community service bursary hours for the hours that he or she tutors.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Athletic Department Fundraiser: Island Storm Basketball plays Moncton Miracles on Tuesday, December 10, at 7 pm. Tickets are only $5! Tickets are available to purchase at the ticket booth during morning break and from 11:43am to noon each day.
- Due to vandalism that has occurred in the men’s locker room, the doors will be locked at 3:30, then unlocked from 4:00-4:15. Access to the locker room after that time will be through the supervisor of the athletic activity.
- Viking Athletic clothing is on sale in the ticket booth every day at morning break and the beginning of lunch, indefinitely!
- Some fall athletes still have uniforms to be returned to Ms. Dowd! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13, Cody Fitzpatrick, Anthony McGuigan #2
- Men’s Soccer: Dylan Lowry, Trevor Wheeler #3
- Women’s Soccer: Jory Donavon #16, Alisha MacDonald #5
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Allee Gallant #3, Emily Evans #14
- Field Hockey: Ali White #18, Maddy Delodder, Amy MacKenzie #7, Chloe Chapman #5, Bethany MacKenzie #8, Jojo Orsatti #11
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Cons.
- Hugh MacDonald will launch his 14th book, The Last Wild Boy, at the MRHS Library today from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. There will be a signing table where you can make purchases for $12.95. The MRHS Culinary class will provide refreshments and the entire public is invited to attend this event to support our local author.
- Scholastic book orders are due Friday, December 6, to ensure delivery for Christmas. Books make awesome Christmas gifts and there are books for all ages in the flyers. Stop by the library and see Mrs. Killeen for more details. Cash or cheques accepted.
- The “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is still open for entries! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
- A representative from the University of New Brunswick will visit on December 4 at 1:45 in the Conference room in the library. If you wish to attend please be sure to get permission from your D block teacher and you must also sign up at student services.
- A representative from Saint Thomas University will be here at Student Services on December 6 between 9 and 10am to do an information session and admission on the spot with no application fee (for this event only). Please sign up in Student Services as well as get permission from you’re a Block teacher.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership (Dec.6)
- 1800 Wheelchair Canada (Jan 5)
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- House of Commons Page Program (Dec. 9)
- Holland College is hosting their annual Open College Day on Wednesday, December 4, from 12 to 6 pm. It will be held at the Center for Community Engagement in the gymnasium off of Grafton Street. There will be representation from all programs offered at Holland College. There will be interactive displays, career assessments, live entertainment from our music students, campus tours and more
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation 3:00 pm January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- If you would like this year’s yearbook, you now need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price is now $50 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions! If you don’t order, you will not get a yearbook in June!
- See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- On Wednesday, as part of SAVE Week, SAVE will by judging a Homeroom Door Decorating Contest. The theme will be “Violence is Preventable”. The winning homeroom will be announced at lunch and will win a pizza party from Famous Peppers.
- SAVE Week activities continue on Thursday which is Purple Day at MRHS. SAVE wants as many people as possible to wear purple to advocate the notion that “Violence is Preventable”. If 75% of the student body participates, then Ms. Evans-Renaud will give everyone an extra 10 minutes at lunch.
- The Island Storm will be holding a practice in the MRHS gym this Wednesday from 11 am to 1 pm. Come out and check out some great basketball!
- SADD Meeting on Wednesday, Dec. 4 (this week only) at 12:00 in Mr. Jamieson’s room.
- On Thursday, December 19, 2013, at the Chapters Indigo store in Charlottetown, there will be a fundraiser for the library from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. A portion of all regular priced sales will go towards the purchases of Kobo books, fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels. This is a great way to finish up your Christmas shopping and support the library. The MRHS choir will be on site entertaining shoppers with their musical talents.
Public Service Announcements:
- Montague Shoppers Drug Mart is having a Christmas Gala on December 5 from 4:00 to 9:00pm. Tickets are $10, but $5 comes back to you that evening and $5 goes to the Look Good, Feel Better Program. Everyone goes home with a goody bag of makeup and/or cosmetics and you’ll have opportunities for free facials, manicures, makeovers, or skin consultations. Book your ticket now!
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.