It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Anne MacKinnon, Zak Likely for Karen Malone, Andrew Murchison for Jonathan Hayes, Brian Somers for Kim Mason, Donna White for Michael Brothers, and Dean Lackie for Jared Cheverie.
Highlights for Today:
- Christmas Dance tickets are on sale until Dec. 4 during lunch break. Don’t forget to get your Sign-In Contracts returned if you are planning on bringing a date from another school. Deadline for contracts is today.
- MRHS Triathlon team will meet today at 12:00 in the Learning Centre A. All new members welcome!
- Mr. Lea’s Global Issues class will be participating in a “Water Walk” today, in an effort to raise funds for our sister schools in Kenya. If students would like to make a pledge, there is a pledge sheet on the bulletin board outside the French room. Thank you!
- Culinary meal today includes chicken with rice soup, scalloped potatoes/roast ham, corn on the cob, chipotle butter, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, lemon ice tea. Cost is $8.
- There will be an important SAVE meeting in Room 113 at 11:50. This is very important as next week is SAVE week.
- Grad Clothing is on sale in Room 141 from 12:00-12:30 today and next week.
- Any students who are interested in becoming a tutor in the new MRHS Peer Ed Tutoring Program should see Ms. Christie Beck or Ms. Kelly Pike to sign up. Students will receive community service bursary hours for the hours that he or she tutors.
- Movember Pictures: The yearbook committee will be taking pictures during A Block today of all those who participated in Movember.
- All shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child must be in today. It sounds like there is a serious competition happening between Ms. Malone, Mr. Nick and Mr. Jay’s class. Will another class some from behind and take the prize? We’ll see who gets the dessert party! If anyone needs more boxes please see Ms. Christie Beck. Let’s fill those boxes and make the lives of some children a little sweeter and a little more fun!!
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Today’s Home Games:
- Women’s Basketball vs. Morell 5:30 pm
- Men’s Basketball vs. Morell 7:30 pm
- Women’s Basketball Team meeting at the uniform room at morning break.
- Due to vandalism that has occurred in the men’s locker room, the doors will be locked at 3:30, then unlocked from 4:00-4:15. Access to the locker room after that time will be through the supervisor of the athletic activity.
- Viking Athletic clothing is on sale in the ticket booth every day at morning break and the beginning of lunch, indefinitely!
- Some fall athletes still have uniforms to be returned to Ms. Dowd! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13, Cody Fitzpatrick, Anthony McGuigan #2
- Men’s Soccer: Dylan Lowry, Tyler Laird #4, Trevor Wheeler #3
- Women’s Soccer: Jory Donavon #16, Mia Levesque #11, Alisha MacDonald #5
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Allee Gallant #3, Emily Evans #14
- Field Hockey: Ali White #18, Maddy Delodder, Amy MacKenzie #7, Chloe Chapman #5, Bethany MacKenzie #8, Jojo Orsatti #11
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Cons.
- “Featured Literary Mustache of the day” goes to Shakespeare. Between the bearded witches in Macbeth and actors portraying women, complete with facial hair and five o’clock shadows, it’s pretty clear that Shakespeare was brazen about all things bewhiskered. Please check out the selection that is for sale on the library circulation desk & support Movember! Look in the new library display case for further info on the best Literary Mustaches of all time! Love it? Have you ever wanted to put money in a moustache? Support Movember by making a donation in the library! Library books have now been reduced to $1…half price!
- Our new “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is now underway! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
- Representatives from the following Universities will be visiting MRHS:
- St. Mary’s University on December 2 at lunch
- University of New Brunswick on December 4 at 1:45 in the Conference room in the library. If you wish to attend please be sure to get permission from your D block teacher and you must also sign up at student services.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- D & R Sobey Atlantic Scholarship (Dec. 1)
- 4-H AgriVenture Scholarship (Dec.1)
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership (Dec.6)
- 1800 Wheelchair Canada (Jan 5)
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- House of Commons Page Program (Dec. 9)
- Holland College is hosting their annual Open College Day on Wednesday, December 4, from 12 to 6 pm. It will be held at the Center for Community Engagement in the gymnasium off of Grafton Street. There will be representation from all programs offered at Holland College. There will be interactive displays, career assessments, live entertainment from our music students, campus tours and more
- Are you interested in becoming at student at McGill University? Join them for an information session taking place this week in Moncton and Halifax to find out more about academic programs, admissions, campus activities, and student life in Montreal. You will be able to speak with a Recruitment and Admissions Officer and have your questions answered. Parents are welcome to attend too! Space is limited, reserve your spot today!
- Saturday, November 30, 2013, 2:00pm-3:00pm, Delta Beausejour, 750 Main Street, Moncton, NB
- Sunday, December 1, 2013, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, Westin Nova Scotian Maritime Room, 1181 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS
- To register, sign-in to McGill in Mind at https://mcgillinmind.mcgill.ca, Click on Events, Choose an Information Session, and Click on ‘Register Me!’
- The Beaver Brook Vimy Prize Essay contest for 15-17 year old students: Winners go to Europe on a trip to study the interwoven history of Canada, France, and Great Britain during the Great Wars. Students must submit a 1,500 word essay or project on a selected topic which will be posted on the website. Deadline is February 1, 2014. See student services for more information.
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation 3:00 pm January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- Today is the last day to purchase a Yearbook for $48! After today, you will need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price goes up to $50 on Dec.1 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions! If you don’t order, you will not get a yearbook in June!
- Payment by cash or cheque will be accepted. If you’d like to pay by credit card, please visit the school’s website www.montaguehigh.wordpress.com and click on the Yearbook Orders link and follow directions.
- See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
Christmas Dance will be on Friday, December 6th from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased until Wednesday, December 4, at lunch only. Please buy early to avoid big line ups. The cost is $10/ticket or $8 with your SPC Card. Students are reminded that your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. A Christmas Dance Contract must be signed by your parents or guardians and presented to the ticket seller before a ticket is purchased. If you have someone you would like to take that is not a student in this school, you must return a sign-in contract to Ms. Evans-Renaud no later than today in order to be considered. The Dance and Sign-In Contracts are available in the main office.
- Ms Hayden-Ward’s extra help in Math will be on Tuesdays at 3:15 from now on, or by request.
- Breakfast Club volunteers are asked to meet in Ms. Anderson’s office at 11:50 Monday. Make sure you attend.
- Auditions for the solos for the Christmas Concert for choir will be held at 3:10 on Tuesday, December 3, in the music room.
- All choir members should have “I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day” and “Christmas Finale” memorized by next Tuesday’s rehearsal.
- The Island Storm will be holding a practice in the MRHS gym on December 4 from 11 am – 1 pm. Come out and check out some great basketball!
- The Cafeteria is serving a Christmas Dinner on Thursday, Dec. 5. Tickets will be on sale in the Cafeteria starting Monday, Nov.18, until Friday, Nov.29. Only those who have purchased tickets will receive this dinner on Dec. 5.
- SADD Meeting Wednesday, Dec. 4 (this week only) at 12:00 in Mr. Jamieson’s room.
SAVE Week – Dec. 2-6:
- On Tuesday, SAVE will be hosting a Cake Auction in the cafeteria at 12:00 with the Right Honorable Earl Campbell as auctioneer. Proceeds will go to Free the Children. Students and staff are encouraged to bring some cold, hard cash to bid on delicious cakes. If you feel you can get a better shot at a delicious cake by pooling your money together with some of your cronies, then go right ahead. Also, if you or someone in your household likes to bake, the SAVE committee would welcome any extra cakes to make the event a success.
- On Wednesday, SAVE will by judging a Homeroom Door Decorating Contest. The theme will be “Violence is Preventable”. The winning homeroom will be announced at lunch and will win a pizza party from Famous Peppers.
- Thursday will be Purple Day at MRHS. SAVE wants as many people as possible to wear purple to advocate the notion that “Violence is Preventable”. If 75% of the student body participates, then Ms. Evans-Renaud will give everyone an extra 10 minutes at lunch.
Public Service Announcements:
- Book Launch in the Library: On Tuesday, December 3, Hugh MacDonald will launch his 14th book, The Last Wild Boy, at the MRHS Library from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. There will be a signing table where you can make purchases for $12.95. The MRHS Culinary class will provide refreshments and the entire public is invited to attend this event to support our local author.
- Montague Shoppers Drug Mart is having a Christmas Gala on December 5 from 4:00 to 9:00pm. Tickets are $10, but $5 comes back to you that evening and $5 goes to the Look Good, Feel Better Program. Everyone goes home with a goody bag of makeup and/or cosmetics and you’ll have opportunities for free facials, manicures, makeovers, or skin consultations. Book your ticket now!
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.
- The Guardian invites budding authors and poets from 5 to 18 years of age to share their favourite holiday stories with them, and then they’ll include some in the Christmas Edition of the Guardian. Poems, short stories and mini editorials are welcome and the deadline for submissions is Dec. 9. Enter online by following the links from The Guardian home page and clicking “Win with The Guardian” (http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/FlyingPage/5667/Xmas-Magic-2). Submissions can also be mailed to Christmas Magic c/o Tracy Stretch, The Guardian, 165 Prince Street, Charlottetown, PE C1A 4R7.