It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Donna White for Sharon Anderson/Anne MacKinnon, Andrew Murchison for Sanda Hicken (pm), Mike Hambly for Kristina McLane (pm), and Zak Likely for Alana Trainor.
Highlights for Today:
- Ms. Malone’s extra help will be held today during lunch break (11:50am) in her room, instead of her regular after school time.
- Today’s Culinary Meal includes corn chowder, pulled pork sliders, key lime pie, pomegranate drink.
- Brazilian Dance Club is on today in room 10 (Music Room) at 12 noon. Group is learning a new dance! New members are welcome!
- SAVE students are meeting today in Room 113, beginning at 11:50.
- “Hope After Haiyan” Variety Show is tonight. Admission is only $5 at the MRHS Cafeteria door, but additional donations are gladly accepted. Please help raise funds for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan.
- Ms Hayden-Ward’s extra help in Math will be on Tuesdays at 3:15 from now on, or by request.
- Christmas Trees needed! If any staff or students have artificial Christmas trees that they are willing to let the Student Council use for the Christmas dance, please contact Chloe Jardine, Sarah Brothers or Megan Walsh as soon as possible.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- Student Fees are now payable at the main office. Remember that the Christmas Dance is coming up soon and your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket.
- Viking Athletic clothing is on sale in the ticket booth every day at morning break and the beginning of lunch, indefinitely!
- Basketball Scorekeeper training session will be held today at 12 noon in the gym. All those interested must attend.
- Dodgeball on Wednesday: Grade 10 Girls will play the Grade 11 Girls.
- Some fall athletes still have uniforms to be returned to Ms. Dowd! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13, Cody Fitzpatrick, Anthony McGuigan #2
- Men’s Soccer: Dylan Lowry, Tyler Laird #4, Trevor Wheeler #3
- Women’s Soccer: Jory Donavon #16, Mia Levesque #11, Alisha MacDonald #5
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Allee Gallant #3, Emily Evans #14
- Field Hockey: Ali White #18, Maddy Delodder, Amy MacKenzie #7, Chloe Chapman #5, Bethany MacKenzie #8, Jojo Orsatti #11
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings Wrestling and Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated School.
- “Featured Literary Mustache of the day” goes to Mark Twain. His trademark white suite and mustache to die for makes him one of the most memorable fuzzy faces for lit fiends. The humorist and satirist’s greatest work wasn’t Huckleberry Finn; it was grooming that gorgeous stache for the entire world to enjoy. Also, mind the eyebrows. Please check out the selection that is for sale on the library circulation desk & support Movember! Please check out the new library display case for further info on the best Literary Mustaches of all time! Love it? Have you ever wanted to put money in a moustache? Support Movember by making a donation in the library! Library books have now been reduced to $1…half price!
- Our new “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is now underway! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
- Representatives from the following Universities will be visiting MRHS:
- Dalhousie University on November 27 from 9:15-10:15am
- St. Mary’s University on December 2 at lunch
- University of New Brunswick on December 4 at 1:45 in the Conference room in the library. If you wish to attend please be sure to get permission from your D block teacher and you must also sign up at student services.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- D & R Sobey Atlantic Scholarship (Dec. 1)
- 4-H AgriVenture Scholarship (Dec.1)
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership (Dec.6)
- 1800 Wheelchair Canada (Jan 5)
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- House of Commons Page Program (Dec. 9)
- Holland College is hosting their annual Open College Day on Wednesday, December 4, from 12 to 6 pm. It will be held at the Center for Community Engagement in the gymnasium off of Grafton Street. There will be representation from all programs offered at Holland College. There will be interactive displays, career assessments, live entertainment from our music students, campus tours and more
- Are you interested in becoming at student at McGill University? Join them for an information session taking place this week in Saint John, Moncton, and Halifax and find out more about academic programs, admissions, campus activities, and student life in Montreal. You will be able to speak with a Recruitment and Admissions Officer and have your questions answered. Parents are welcome to attend too! Space is limited, reserve your spot today!
- Wednesday, November, 2013, 5:30pm-6:30pm, Delta Brunswick, 39 King Street, Saint John, NB
- Saturday, November 30, 2013, 2:00pm-3:00pm, Delta Beausejour, 750 Main Street, Moncton, NB
- Sunday, December 1, 2013, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, Westin Nova Scotian Maritime Room, 1181 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS
- To Register, sign-in to McGill in Mind at https://mcgillinmind.mcgill.ca, Click on Events, Choose an Information Session, and Click on ‘Register Me!’
- The Beaver Brook Vimy Prize Essay contest for 15-17 year old students: Winners go to Europe on a trip to study the interwoven history of Canada, France, and Great Britain during the Great Wars. Students must submit a 1,500 word essay or project on a selected topic which will be posted on the website. Deadline is February 1, 2014. See student services for more information.
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation 3:00 pm January 9th 2014 at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- Yearbooks will be on sale for $48 during lunch until November 29. After that time, you will need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price goes up to $50 on Dec.1 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions!
- Payment by cash or cheque will be accepted. If you’d like to pay by credit card, please visit the school’s website www.montaguehigh.wordpress.com and click on the Yearbook Orders link and follow directions.
- See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- If you do not order a yearbook, you will not get one when they arrive in June!
Christmas Dance will be on Friday, December 6th from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased starting tomorrow (change in plans) until Wednesday, December 4, at lunch only. Please buy early to avoid big line ups. The cost is $10/ticket or $8 with your SPC Card. Students are reminded that your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. A Christmas Dance Contract must be signed by your parents or guardians and presented to the ticket seller before a ticket is purchased. If you have someone you would like to take that is not a student in this school, you must return a sign-in contract to Ms. Evans-Renaud no later than Friday, November 29th in order to be considered. The Dance Contract and the Sign-in Contract are available in the main office.
- Miss Potential will meet tomorrow after school. Girls are reminded to bring your gym clothing.
- SADD meeting tomorrow in Mr. Jamieson’s room at 12:05pm.
- SAVE students are reminded that there will be a meeting on Wednesday in Room 113, beginning at 11:50.
- Mr. Lea’s Global Issues class will be participating in a “Water Walk” this Friday, November 29, in an effort to raise funds for our sister schools in Kenya. If students would like to make a pledge, there is a pledge sheet on the bulletin board outside the French room. Thank you!
- This Friday’s Culinary meal includes chicken with rice soup, scalloped potatoes/roast ham, corn on the cob, chipotle butter, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, lemon ice tea. Book your meal at the ticket booth.
- The Cafeteria is serving a Christmas Dinner on Thursday, Dec. 5. Tickets will be on sale in the Cafeteria starting Monday, Nov.18, until Friday, Nov.29. Only those who have purchased tickets will receive this dinner on Dec. 5.
Public Service Announcements:
- Book Launch in the Library: On Tuesday, December 3, Hugh MacDonald will launch his 14th book, The Last Wild Boy, at the MRHS Library from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. There will be a signing table where you can make purchases for $12.95. The MRHS Culinary class will provide refreshments and the entire public is invited to attend this event to support our local author.
- Montague Shoppers Drug Mart is having a Christmas Gala on December 5 from 4:00 to 9:00pm. Tickets are $10, but $5 comes back to you that evening and $5 goes to the Look Good, Feel Better Program. Everyone goes home with a goody bag of makeup and/or cosmetics and you’ll have opportunities for free facials, manicures, makeovers, or skin consultations. Book your ticket now!
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.