It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zachariah Likely for KimMason, Mike Hambly for Mary Ellen Lowther (am) and Glenda McInnis (pm), Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Andrew Murchison for Sandra Hicken, Sharna Reynard for Craig Conohan, Sara Prosser for Lynn Hayes, and Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson.
Happy Birthday to Jacob DeFusco, Kelsey Johnston, and Peter MacKinnon.
Highlights for Today:
- Mid-Term Report Cards are being sent home with students today.
- Students are reminded that there are no classes tomorrow, Friday, Nov.22. Staff members are taking part in Instructional Development activities.
- Those students who missed Mr. Trainor’s BIO521 test will write today at 11:45 in Room 131.
- Readers’ Circle will be held in the Library Conference Room today at 12:05. New book is Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar. All are invited!
- Grad clothing orders will be taken during lunch break today. Interested students should visit Room 141 after 12:00 noon.
- Hospital Volunteer Program mandatory training starts today from 3:30-4:45 (approx) at the Hospital. All Grade 11 and Grade 12 students who submitted applications were accepted into the program. If you have any questions, please see Mr Conohan.
- Christmas Trees needed! If any staff or students have artificial Christmas trees that they are willing to let the Student Council use for the Christmas dance, please contact Chloe Jardine, Sarah Brothers or Megan Walsh as soon as possible.
- Clothing Drive: Everyone bring in clothes to donate to the clothing drive. Donations will be accepted until the end of the week!
- This week in the Cafeteria: Students/staff are invited to go at lunch and order up a 6 or 12 inch sub or a 12 inch wrap with your choice of meats and veggies.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- Student Fees are now payable at the main office. Remember that the Christmas Dance is coming up soon and your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket.
- Wyatt Inman will be in the fitness centre after school today to do a session with Power Lifters.
- Students interested in doing scorekeeping for home basketball games should give their names to Ms. Dowd, William McGuigan, or Morgan Campbell. Rate is $10 per game.
- Any qualified lifeguards who are interested in assisting with PE classes at AFC, please see Ms. Dowd.
- All fall athletes must return their uniforms to Ms. Dowd this week! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13, Jake Banks #8, Tristen Dawson #9, Cody Fitzpatrick, Anthony McGuigan #2, Tynan Murphy, #12 jersey & shorts, #3 jersey & shorts, #4 jersey and shorts.
- Men’s Soccer: Brent Deagle #8, Dylan Lowry, Cameron Glover #14, Tyler Laird #4, Trevor Wheeler #3, Marcus Miller #21, Michael Vanderswaag #15.
- Women’s Soccer: Sarah Somers, Jory Donavon #16, Sarah McFarish #2, Leah Jordan #10, Samara Blakeney #17, Alanna VanWiechen #14, Sarah Visser #13, Emma MacDonald #9, Bailie Campbell #12, Mia Levesque #11, Michaela McSwain #8, Alisha MacDonald #5, Kristen Whiteway #18, Sierra MacDonald, Sarah Benoit.
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Tanisha Victor #6, Allee Gallant #3, Cassie McLean #9, Christina Rose #12, Emily Evans #14.
- Field Hockey: Ali White #18, Hope Higginbotham #3, Amanda Gormley #4, Maddy Delodder, Amy MacKenzie #7, Chloe Chapman #5, Alyssa Ferguson #13, MeganWalsh #17, Hannah Gormley #6, Deanna Morris #9, Mikayla McGuirk #14, Bethany MacKenzie #8, Jojo Orsatti #11.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings Wrestling and Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 – 5:00 at Montague Consolidated School.
- “Featured Literary Mustache of the day” goes to Leo Tolstoy. His scheming editor Vladimir Chertkov must have seriously envied the Russian writer’s snowy locks. Please check out the new library display case for further info on the best Literary Mustaches of all time! Love it? Have you ever wanted to put money in a moustache? Support Movember by making a donation in the library!
- Our new “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is now underway! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
Hope After Haiyan:
- MRHS hosts “Hope After Haiyan” Variety Show. Students of MRHS will showcase their talents in efforts to raise funds for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan. Come on out Tuesday, November 26, at 7:00 pm to the Cafeteria for this great cause! Admission is only $5 at the door, but additional donations are gladly accepted.
- What’s your talent? We’re looking for students to showcase their talent in the “Hope After Haiyan” Variety Show. All those interested should sign up on the sheet on the music room door ASAP.
- Volunteers are needed to help out with the “Hope After Haiyan” Variety Show on November 26. Lisa Morrison needs to hear from you today if you are interested in helping in any way.
- Yearbooks will be on sale for $48 during lunch until November 29. After that time, you will need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price goes up to $50 on Dec.1 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions!
- Payment by cash or cheque will be accepted. If you’d like to pay by credit card, please visit the school’s website www.montaguehigh.wordpress.com and click on the Yearbook Orders link and follow directions.
- Please note that special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons are available for an extra charge. See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for more information about these features. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- If you do not order a yearbook, you will not get one when they arrive in June!
- Upcoming University Visitations. Sessions will take place in the Library Conference Room. Students must sign up at Student Services and if attending a session during class time, they must have their teacher’s permission in advance.
- Monday, November 25: Western University of Toronto, 1:45-3:00pm
- Wednesday, November 27, Dalhousie, 9:15-10:15am
- A rep from St. Mary’s University is visiting the school to do an information session and answer questions during lunch on December 2 at Student Services. Interested students are asked to sign up at Student Services.
Christmas Dance will be on Friday, December 6th from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased on Tuesday, November 26, until Wednesday, December 4, at lunch only. Please buy early to avoid big line ups. The cost is $10/ticket or $8 with your SPC Card. Students are reminded that your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. A Christmas Dance Contract must be signed by your parents or guardians and presented to the ticket seller before a ticket is purchased. If you have someone you would like to take that is not a student in this school, you must return a sign-in contract to Ms. Evans-Renaud no later than Friday, November 29th in order to be considered. The Dance Contract and the Sign-in Contract are available in the main office.
- Next week’s Culinary meals:
- Tuesday, Nov.26: corn chowder, pulled pork sliders, key lime pie, pomegranate drink.
- Friday, Nov.29: chicken with rice soup, scalloped potatoes/roast ham, corn on the cob, chipotle butter, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, lemon ice tea.
- The Cafeteria is serving a Christmas Dinner on Thursday, December 5. Tickets will be on sale in the Cafeteria starting Monday, Nov.18, until Friday, Nov.29. Only those who have purchased tickets will receive the Christmas Dinner on Dec. 5.
Public Service Announcements:
- Book Launch in the Library: On Tuesday, December 3, Hugh MacDonald will launch his 14th book, The Last Wild Boy, at the MRHS Library from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. There will be a signing table where you can make purchases for $12.95. Morgan Sauliner will provide musical entertainment and MRHS Culinary class will provide refreshments. The entire public is invited to attend this event to support our local author.
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.