It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Kim Mason and Wanda Cheverie for Yvonne Higgins.
Happy Birthday to Sophie MacLean, Taylor MacLean, and Gillian MacLeod. We extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over the weekend: Jory Donovan, Alisha MacDonald, Kaitlyn Stewart and Alyssa Thaxter.
Congratulations to both MRHS Envirothon teams for representing the school and community very well this past weekend. The Grade 12 team consisting of Chloe Gillis, Sarah Brothers, Megan Walsh, Allie Boyle, and Emma Macdonald took home the Gold, a first for MRHS. The MRHS Envirothon team will now represent PEI at the North American Envirothon at the University of Georgia, in Athens Georgia, in July! The Grade 10 team (Emily Brothers, Amanda Gormley, Bethany Mackenzie, Chloe Jardine, Tara Llewellyn) was beyond impressive at the competition and will be the team to beat for the next two years. Well done!
Highlights for Today:
- Today’s Library Trivia Question: What is the best selling book of all time? A.Green Eggs and Ham, B.The Holy Bible, C.Guiness Book of World Records, or D.The Hunger Games Please write your answer on the paper provided outside the library and place the answer in the library book return box. Ballots will be available starting at break and at lunch time…no ballots during class time. Winner will be announced at the end of each day. The winner will be determined from a random draw of all correct answers.
- If the weather permits, Grad Class photo is being taken today during B Block at the waterfront. Students MUST arrive by bus.
- Contest: Name the school store! Stop by to put your suggestion into the Ballot Box. You could win a Subway Card. There are only 25 CSLC T-Shirts left and they are selling 2 for $2.
- Students who wish to make a request for the Friday song must submit a copy of the lyrics with your name on top to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- Student Fees are now payable at the main office. Remember that the Christmas Dance is coming up soon and your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket.
Attention All Students: You are invited to participate in an online survey for this year’s yearbook! The questions and answers will be included in the book and if you complete the survey you will be entered to win a $10 Tim Horton’s gift card. This survey only takes a minute! Please go to http://surveys.yearbookavenue.jostens.com/s/random
- Today’s home games:
- Women’s Soccer quarterfinal against Evangeline at 4 pm. Come out and cheer! The team will meet in Room 84 at 12:00 noon today.
- Men’s Soccer quarterfinal against Westisle at 4 pm. Good luck!
- Women’s Field Hockey Team takes on Colonel Gray in semifinal action tonight at the Terry Fox Centre at 6 pm. Good luck!
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- “If we can put a man on the moon and sequence the human genome, we should be able to devise something close to a universal digital public library.” (Peter Singer) Want to know more about the author of this quote? Stop by the Library!
- It’s Library Week. There are tons of great things happening! Check out posters and announcements daily.
- Library will not be open after school on Thursday, October 31. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Deadline for October Scholastic book orders is Thursday, October 31. Get your money and orders in to Mrs. Killeen.
- Any students who are interested in applying to be a volunteer at the Kings County Memorial Hospital or the Riverview Manor should see Mr. Conohan ASAP. Application forms are due back to him by Wednesday, October 30.
- UNB will be hosting an information session and admission on the spot event at the Delta Hotel in Charlottetown on November 12, starting at 7:00pm. Any students planning on attending should pick up a transcript from Mr. Conohan at student services and take it to the event if they want to be considered for early admission.
- Just a reminder to staff and students in Grades 10 and 11: Retakes will be available on Tuesday, October 29, in the morning only. Further announcements will be made that morning!
- A reminder to all SAVE students that there will be meetings at lunch on both Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Remember to meet in Room 85 at 11:50.
- Next Intramural Dodgeball game will be on October 29, when the Average Joes play the Shafts of Death.
- Come to the high school on Wednesday from 7:00 to 9:00 pm and experience “The Haunting of MRHS”. For the first time ever, explore the haunted halls of the school, be scared by a collection of creeps, and have a great night with friends. Admission is by donation and profits are going to the Food Bank.
- Powerlifters will be at Kinkora this Friday for a meet (all day).
- MRHS Wrestling starts on Monday, November 4. Practices are at Montague Consolidated School on Mondays from 3:30 to 5 pm and Wednesdays from 4 to 5:30 pm.
- Kick off wrestling camp at MRHS on November 15 with former national team member and high performance coach Clint Kingsbury. $20 for Wrestling PEI members, $30 for non-members. See Ms. Dowd or Ms. Morrison for more information.
- Dr. Parry Aftab is hosting an International Stop Cyberbullying Youth Summit on November 9 in Charlottetown. More information available at youthsummit.stopcyberbullying.org
- Telus Walk to cure Diabetes is scheduled for Sunday, November 3, at Red Shores Driving Park in Charlottetown. For more information, please contact Stacey Hardy at 658-2155.