It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Lianne Garland, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Dean Lackie for Kim Mason, Dean Woodside for Earl Campbell, and Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson.
Happy Birthday to Dean Carroll and Cody Forrester.
Excited for Hallowe’en? Come out to the “Field of Screams” in Eldon on October 25 and 26. Admission is $10 per person; funds go to MRHS Disney Choir. Hours are from 7:00 to 11:00pm.
Highlights for Today:
- Homeroom teachers: Please post the yellow Library Week contest sheet and share with students.
Contest starts next Monday!
- Pumpkin Smash! Today at lunch break in the Cafeteria, come and support Hallowe’en for Hunger! Pumpkins are $3 each or you can buy a specialized one for $5.
- Senior Concert Band practice today after school from 3:30 to 4:30pm.
- Grade 10 and Senior Concert Band has a concert this evening at 7:30. Students must be here for 6:45pm.
- The School Store is open every day from 10:00am to 12:00 noon. Remember your friends on their birthdays. Buy a locker kit for only $2.
- Did you buy your SPC Card this year? Student Council is selling SPC Cards for $9, so if you are interested in purchasing one, please see Mrs. Hicken in Room #133. Remember, you will receive $2 off your Christmas Dance ticket by using a SPC card!
- Students who wish to make a request for the Friday song must submit a copy of the lyrics with your name on top to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- Student Fees are now payable at the main office. Remember that the Christmas Dance is coming up soon and your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket.
- The Women’s Soccer Team won their game last night 3-0 over Kensington. Congratulations!
- Holy pitstains! The MRHS Men’s Volleyball team continues to impress. I can recall watching matches earlier in the season when our players would crumble under pressure regularly. Last night, the boys proved how much they’ve grown over the course of the season. The game featured a plethora of rallies between the TOSH and Montague teams, which caused the spectators to gasp with anticipation as MRHS once again won two sets, and lost two. While Montague played a competitive fifth set, they were unable to topple the Summerside team. Among the Montague elite who deserve recognition are Anthony McGuigan who blocked numerous hard hits from the opposition; “Fierce” Pierce Conohan whose serves sailed over the net low and hard every time; and Cody “Fitzy” Fitzpatrick who successfully delivered a haymaker to the volleyball, saving his team from certain disaster. And who could forget Tynan Murphy and Jake Banks who spent the evening sliding on their bellies, “digging” to prevent a lost ball on their own side. If you see any of these great ball volleyers in hall today, make sure you give them the wink and the gun for a game well played!
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Mikayla McGuirk, who had a hat trick vs. TOSH last week.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Tynan Murphy, who led his team to their first victory of the season over Antigonish at the Colonel Gray Wall of Fame Cup last weekend.
- Cross-Country Provincial Meet is today at Charlottetown Rural. Bus will depart at 11:00 am. Good luck to all runners!
- Intramural Dodgeball Game that was scheduled for today has been cancelled because of the Pumpkin Smash!
- Anyone students interested in trying out for this year’s Men’s Basketball Team are asked to sign-up on the sheet posted outside of the Athletics Office. Training sessions could begin as early as next week.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Any students that are considering applying to a Holland College program that requires a portfolio submission should consider attending one of the Portfolio Review Days. This is an opportunity to identify the specific requirements and help students better prepare themselves for this essential piece of the application process. See student services or the poster on the Holland College bulletin board outside the student services office for more information.
- NSCAD University is hosting a Portfolio Day at the Confederation Center Art Gallery on October 26 from 1:30 to 3:30pm. Sign up at my.NSCAD.ca.
- “Libraries allow children to ask questions about the world and find the answers. And the wonderful thing is that once a child learns to use a library, the doors to learning are always open.” (Laura Bush) Want to know more about the author of this quote? Stop by the Library!
- MRHS will be celebrating Library week October 28-31st. There will be a “Pinterest”ing library contest, dress your pet photo contest and daily book trivia in announcements. Stay tuned.
- Are you interested in Readers’ Circle? Stop by the Library at 12:05 on Friday, October 25. See Mrs. Killeen for details.
- Holland College is hosting the ACAA Soccer Championships this Saturday, October 26, and Sunday, October 27, at the Terry Fox Centre in Cornwall. Free admission for all PEI students.
- Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) will be meeting tomorrow at 11:50 in the conference room of the Library.
- Do you want to become a healthier you? If you answered “yes” to that question, we have the club just for you! Any girls interested in joining are asked to attend a meeting in Ms. MacLeod’s Room (Room 85) on Friday at 12:00noon. Girls only!
- Next Culinary Meal: Greek salad, pastichio, homemade baguette, butter cookies and a zesty layered sparkling lime drink. You can enjoy this Greek-themed meal tomorrow for only $8. Book it now!
- If the weather permits, we are having the Grad Class photo taken on Monday, October 28, during B Block at the waterfront. We are asking that students wear red and black. . . transportation is provided. Students MUST arrive by bus.
- Next Intramural Dodgeball game will be on October 29, when the Average Joes play the Shafts of Death.