It’s a “D-C” Day
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Jonathan Gallant for Robert Bourgeois, Katherine MacKenzie for Lianne Garland, and Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson.
Happy Birthday to Cordell Blaisdell, Alexis Carroll, Kestra Greer, Kelsey MacDonald, Kristin MacDonald, and Cliff McQuillan. We extend special greetings to Mr. Carl Evans who is also celebrating his birthday today.
Excited for Hallowe’en? Come out to the “Field of Screams” in Eldon on October 25 and 26. Admission is $10 per person; funds go to MRHS Disney Choir. Hours are from 7:00 to 11:00pm.
Hey, Band Students!
- No Jazz Band practice this Wednesday, October 23.
- Senior Concert Band practice this Thursday after school from 3:30 to 4:30pm.
- Grade 10 and Senior Concert Band are reminded of your Concert with UPEI this Thursday evening at 7:30pm. Students must be here for 6:45pm.
Highlights for Today:
- Brazilian Dance Club is today in room 10 (Music Room) at 12 noon. We are learning a new dance! New members are welcome!
- The Cafeteria will be closed for afternoon break today due to the Post Secondary Expo being held.
- BioGENEious Challenge: If you want to learn science through a research project of your design then Sanofi BioGENEius Challenge Canada (SBCC) may be for you. SBCC gives high school students from across Canada the chance to pour their creativity, curiosity and scientific skills into cutting-edge research projects that tackle some of the day’s toughest challenges—from cancer and Alzheimer’s disease to crops and the environment. Information session today at 11:45am in Room 85.
- Debate Club will meet today at 3:15 until 4:00 in Room 211.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Grade 12 Boys play Bad Mamajamas
- The School Store is open every day from 10:00am to 12:00 noon. Remember your friends on their birthdays. Buy a locker kit for only $2.
- Did you buy your SPC Card this year? Student Council is selling SPC Cards for $9, so if you are interested in purchasing one, please see Mrs. Hicken in Room #133. Remember, you will receive $2 off your Christmas Dance ticket by using a SPC card!
- Students who wish to make a request for the Friday song must submit a copy of the lyrics with your name on top to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- Student Fees are now payable at the main office. Remember that the Christmas Dance is coming up soon and your Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket.
- The Men’s Soccer team lost 3-0 to Bluefield last night. Guys will have a brief team meeting today at 11:43 in Mr. Munn’s room.
- The Women’s Soccer team won their game last night 3-0 over Souris. Sarah Somers, Alana VanWiechen and Sara MacVarish scored for the Vikings.
- The Montague Men’s Volleyball Team played the best game of their season last night against Colonel Gray. Did they win? No. But until last night, they had never won a set. Last night, they won their first and third sets, forcing Colonel Gray into a fifth set which the Colonels narrowly won with a score of 15-13. Tynan Murphy definitely had his best match of the season. He dominated the front of the court, driving the volleyball down the throats of the quivering Colonels with his powerful and accurate hits. Kyle Parlee helped the team with his consistent serves and sets. And Patrick Walsh proved himself in the final set of the match by cleaning up messy balls in the back of the court. I’m sure his knees are sore today. These boys definitely played a great game. We are hoping their match against Three Oaks on Wednesday at 5:30 is just as spectacular!
- There is a Cross-Country practice today after school at 3:15. Meet at the track! The Provincial meet is Thursday at Charlottetown Rural. Bus will depart at 11:00 am.
- First Women’s Basketball team session is today from 7-9 pm. There is a sign-up sheet in the PE area if you haven’t already signed up.
- All Power Lifters should be at practice today after school. Wyatt will be present to do a session.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Any students who picked up a VIP, violence is preventable card, from student services are advised that some of the support services phone numbers on the card are incorrect. Please dispose of your card and pick up an updated version at Student Services.
- Our annual Postsecondary Day is being held today from 1:15 to 3:10pm. Reps from most universities and colleges in Atlantic Canada and other career related presenters will be here. Grade 12 students will have access to representatives for the entire time, Grade 11 students will have access from 2:15 to 3:00pm, and Grade 10 students are welcome to visit the tables during break. This will be a good opportunity to meet with people who can answer your questions about their institutions, the application process, early admission, apprenticeship opportunities, etc. For a complete list of representatives and other information that will help you prepare for this opportunity please see the student services section of our webpage.
- Any students that are considering applying to a Holland College program that requires a portfolio submission (fundamental arts, video game art and animation, graphic design, photography and digital imaging) should consider attending one of the Portfolio Review Days. This is an opportunity to identify the specific requirements and help students better prepare themselves for this essential piece of the application process. See student services or the poster on the Holland College bulletin board outside the student services office for more information.
- NSCAD University is hosting a Portfolio Day at the Confederation Center Art Gallery on October 26 from 1:30 to 3:30pm. Sign up at my.NSCAD.ca.
- “Librarians are almost always very helpful and often almost absurdly knowledgeable. Their skills are probably very underestimated and largely underemployed.” (Charles Medawar) Want to know more about the author of this quote? Stop by the Library!
- MRHS will be celebrating Library week October 28-31st. There will be a “Pinterest”ing library contest, dress your pet photo contest and daily book trivia in announcements. Stay tuned for more details coming soon.
- There will be Block meetings for Peer Helpers on Wednesday this week.
- Grad Class Committee is asked to meet in Room 119 on Wednesday at 12:00 noon.
- Next Intramural Dodgeball game is on Thursday, October 24, when the Balls of Fury play Target Practice.
- Are you interested in Readers’ Circle? Stop by the Library at 12:05 on Friday, October 25.
- If the weather permits, we are having the Grad Class photo taken on Friday during B Block at the waterfront. We are asking that students wear red and black. . . transportation is provided. Students MUST arrive by bus.
- Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) will be meeting at 11:50 in the conference room of the Library on Friday this week instead of Wednesday.
- Do you want to become a healthier you? If you answered “yes” to that question, we have the club just for you! Any girls interested in joining are asked to attend a meeting on Friday at lunch break. Girls only!
- Next Culinary Meal: Greek salad, pastichio, homemade baguette, butter cookies and a zesty layered sparkling lime drink. You can enjoy this Greek-themed meal on October 25 for only $8. Book it now!