It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Donna White for Angela Killeen, Jillian Power for Matthew Killeen, Glenda Kohli for Kim Mason, and Jessica Campbell for Philip MacDonald.
Happy Birthday to: Taylor Ferguson.
Happy Thanksgiving! Students and staff are looking forward to a long weekend coming up. There are no classes on Monday, October 14.
Highlights for Today:
- Grads, don’t forget that Heckberts are going to be here next Wednesday to accept your photo orders!
- Student Council: Coupon books are in; please see Ms. MacLeod in the CSLC office to pick up your books.
- First Culinary Meal of the Year is being served today at 11:50am in Room 136. If you haven’t paid, don’t forget to bring your money.
- The School Store is open every day from 10:00am to 12:00 noon. Remember your friends on their birthdays. Buy a locker kit for only $2.
- Junior Achievement reps will be here over the lunch break today. Check out the display in the main lobby.
- Did you buy an SPC Card this year? Student Council is selling SPC Cards for $9, so if you are interested in purchasing one, please see Mrs. Hicken in Room #133. Remember, you will receive $2 off your Christmas Dance ticket by using a SPC card!
- Students who wish to make a request for the Friday song must submit a copy of the lyrics with your name on top to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- The Field Hockey and Men’s Volleyball team bus will depart for Bluefield at 2:30 pm.
- The Gym will be open on Saturday from 1:00 to 3:00pm for any male students interested in playing basketball this year. This is NOT a tryout, but is a good chance to work out some rust and test your skills against your peers and Viking Alumni. Coaches are looking for a big turnout so spread the word.
- All baseball players should return their uniforms to Ms. Dowd this week.
- All athletes are reminded that if you have not already passed in your athletic fee, today is the last day to do so. Fee is $35 for team sports and $15 for individual.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Kyle Parlee of Montague. Kyle has taken on the new position of setter, which he has never played before. He is consistently the most positive player on the team during each and every game.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Grade Ten student Amanda Gormley of Murray River. Amanda was an instrumental player and scored her first goal as a Viking against Charlottetown Rural on Friday.
- Global Young Leaders Conference: Held in various locations in the US, China, and Europe during the summer of 2014. Deadline for school nomination is the end of October. Please see student services for more information.
- “A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.” (Henry Ward Beecher) Want to know more about the author of this quote? Stop by the Library!
- October book orders are now available in the library. Even though the final day to submit orders is October 30th, Mrs. Killeen can place your order at any time. Please stop by today!
- Be original. Be creative. Be part of the new Canada Day Challenge! If you’re between 8 and 18 years of age and live in Canada, you’re invited to express what Canada means to you by submitting an original poster design, a digital photograph, or a piece of creative writing inspired by the theme Canada: Strong and Free. Information about the 2014 edition of the Challenge is available in the Library; see Mrs. Killeen.
- Attention all SAVE participants. Remember that if you are interested in attending the We Day Conference in Halifax on November 26-27 that you must submit your essay by Wednesday’s meeting at the latest. Also, please make sure your permission and bursary forms are handed in to Mr. Mike Brothers as soon as possible.
- Next Intramural Dodgeball Game: Shafts of Death play Bad Mamajamas on Tuesday, October 15.
- School photo proofs have been distributed. The due date for money and forms to be returned is Wednesday, October 16th. These are to be handed in to homeroom teachers!
- Attention Grads: Those who would like to order grad photos from Heckbert’s should note that they will be here at school next Wednesday, October 16, at lunch to take orders. Please call them at 566-5500 if you have any questions before that day. Grads: If you choose not to order from Heckbert’s, we will gladly include one of the pictures they took in the yearbook and composite.