It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Taylor Johnson for Natasha Dowd, Janet MacDougall-Turner (am) and Anna Ignacio (pm) for Craig Conohan, Donna White for Sandra Hicken, Jessica Campbell for Angela Killeen, Janet MacDougall-Turner for Jonathan Hayes (pm), and Zak Likely for Karen Malone.
Happy Birthday to Julian Annear. We also extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Emma Collings, Jordan Jamieson, Alicia MacKinnon, Dustin Ross, Patricia Crant, Brett Hicken, Brittany Jackson and Mitchell Lannigan.
This Week’s Conference:
- From Tuesday, September 17 to Saturday, September 21, 2013, Montague Regional High School is hosting the Canadian Student Leadership Conference. One thousand students and advisors from across Canada will be arriving in Montague to participate in workshops and volunteer activities, and to hear high profile keynote speakers.
- On Tuesday, September 17, Wednesday, September 18, and Thursday, September 19, there will be no regular classes at Montague Regional High School. The buses will be running and students who are participating and/or volunteering at the conference will travel to school as usual.
- Friday, September 20 is a Professional Development Day for teachers and there is no school across the Island that day. Buses will not be running.
Highlights for Today:
- If you are volunteering for CSLC this week, please let your bus drivers know. This will ensure that the drivers won’t miss you this week during the conference.
- There is a meeting for all of the airport crew of spirit leaders at 11:45 in Learning Centre B today.
- The following students are asked to meet Mr. Hayes in Room 129 at 12 noon: Emily Brothers, Amanda Gormley, Bethany Mackenzie, Chloe Jardine, Tara Llewelyn.
- Any students interested in working as a score keeper at home games this semester are asked to see Ms. Dowd, Morgan Campbell or William McGuigan before Sept.24. This is a great way to get volunteer hours.
- Chives Needed! Look in your gardens… ask your parents! We need lots of chives for Wednesday, September 18, for our baked potato lunch. See Ms. Anderson for details.
- Members of the Women’s Soccer Team have a meeting at 12:00 noon in Room 84.
- Men’s Soccer Team will practice today at 3:30pm.
- The Women’s Volleyball Team will be practicing today at M.I.S. from 5:00 to 7:00pm!
- Men’s Volleyball Team has a practice at Montague Intermediate School this week, Monday to Friday, from 5:00 to 7:00pm.
- All athletic forms and fees are due Monday, September 23. Students who don’t have forms in and fees paid will not get to play! Men’s & Women’s Soccer, Men’s & Women’s Volleyball and Women’s Field Hockey fees are $35. Cross Country and Powerlifting fees are $15. Students should note that your fee payment includes a ticket for the Athletic Banquet. All fees and forms can be passed in at lunch break in the Uniform Room, No. 67.
- Application information is now available at Student Services for the University of Toronto National Scholars Program. Be sure to check out this and other scholarship opportunities on our Scholarship Board.
- Loran Scholarships- 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Character, Service and Leadership and strong Academic achievement (average of at least 85%) are the selection criteria. Must be accepted to one of the Sponsored Universities. 40 $3000 finalist awards. Deadline for students who wish to seek school nomination is October 4 at 3pm. See Mr. Conohan ASAP for more info.
- Community Service Bursaries: If you are in Grade 11 or 12, you are eligible to earn a bursary valued up to $500 simply by volunteering in the community. Visit student services for more information.
- Study and Go Abroad Fair: Canada’s largest international university and student travel expo, Study and Go Abroad, is coming to Halifax. It provides an opportunity for you to meet with top-ranked universities and colleges from around the world. This expo will include a Student Travel Zone, with organizations offering internships, volunteer programs, work abroad and adventure and language travel. Admission is free. You can register in advance at www.studyandgoabroad.com or on day of fair: September 24, 2013, at Kenneth C. Rowe Heritage Hall, Pier 21, Halifax, from 10am to 4pm.
- “In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us to swim.” (Linton Weeks) Want to know more about the author of this quote? Stop by the Library!
- Library hours of operation are as follows: Monday and Friday from 8:15am to 3:10pm and Tuesday to Thursday from 8:15am to 4:00pm.
- Abegweit Driver Education classes will begin on October 7 pending enrolment. To enroll, call 902-566-1482 or sign up online at www.drivepei.com.