It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome Guest Staff: Janna Goodwin for Amy Beck, Mike Hambly for Michael Merriam, Donna White for Sandra Hicken, Drew Melnick for Charlie Trainor, Jonathan Gallant for Alana Trainor, Kayla Coady for Janet MacDougall-Turner (am), Catherine MacKinnon for Matt Killeen, Anna Ignacio for Natasha Dowd, Zack MacLellan for Anne MacKinnon, Glenda Kohli for Tim Lea, John Smither for Ronnie Munn, Colleen Norris for Craig Conohan, and Alana Marchard for Sharon Anderson.
Highlights for Today:
- The Culinary class is making a BBQ-themed meal today. It includes BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, twice-baked potatoes, coleslaw, fruit popsicles, along with strawberry lemonade for a drink.
- If anyone lost a necklace at the musical on Thursday evening, please see Mrs. Hicken.
- STRIVE members are reminded to submit your journals to Mr. Conohan as soon as possible.
- Any individuals or businesses in the vicinity of MRHS looking for student employees for the summer months should contact Earl Campbell, Youth Service Worker, at 838-0835, ext. 230.
- Grads: Viking Pin Applications are available for pick up in the library. Please fill in all necessary information, have coaches/advisers sign and return to the Library. Due today!
- Students attending prom are reminded of MRHS’s no scent policy. Please be considerate of others attending prom and do not wear perfume, cologne, scented lotions, etc. to prom. We ask for your co-operation with this in order for everyone attending to have an enjoyable evening with their friends.
- Anyone who has signed up for peer helping next year must have an interview before you are accepted into the program. If you signed up or are interested in taking peer helping next year, please see Mrs. Hicken in Room #87 before you leave for the summer to set up an interview time.
- Students who have not yet paid $20 Student Fees are reminded to do so.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week: Denver MacKenzie went 4 for 4 with two doubles in MRHS’ 12-8 victory over Morell last week.
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week: Jenna Fitzpatrick made several key tackles and ran well with the ball in Women’s Rugby games against KISH and Charlottetown Rural last week.
- Volleyball players who are interested in attending summer camps at Holland College should see Ms. Dowd by next Wednesday for a registration form.
- Awards Banquet Tickets on Sale! Thursday, May 16 – Tuesday, May 21, at noon in the ticket booth Cost – $5. Athletes – come pick up your tickets – already paid for with your athletic fees!
- Belfast Minor Hockey Grad Award: Deadline is fast approaching. If you are a Grade 12 student who has played hockey or ringette for Belfast, come apply for this award today in student services! Deadline is May 22
- Encounters With Canada: Canada’s largest youth forum! Student selected for the program spend an amazing week in Ottawa with teens from across Canada. During their week, students from each province aged 14-17 discover their country through each other, learn about Canadian institutions, meet famous and accomplished Canadians, explore exciting career options, develop their civic leadership skills and live an extraordinary experience. 12 Spots are available for our school for the program taking place during the 2013/14 school year. Current Grades 10 and 11 students may apply, however priority will be given to well qualified Grade 11 applicants. If you would like to apply or find out more about the program and weekly themes, stop by Student Services. Application deadline is May 28. Interested students are also encouraged to Google Encounters with Canada and explore the program online.
- Holland College has a new scholarship! The Harrison McCain Scholarship will be awarded to a Canadian citizen who has been accepted into a full-time program at Holland College. Financial need will be a primary consideration. Students must apply for the award. Applications are available in student services.
- Students who have received scholarships or awards from universities or other organizations are asked to report this information to student services. If possible, please bring in the offer letter. Students who have been awarded scholarships and awards are recognized at graduation and it is important to recognize both the recipient and the donor at that time.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Subway or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is May 31st and the Kobo draw will be June 7th!
- All library books and Kobos are to be returned to the library by Friday, May 31.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Public Service Announcements:
- The Miss Montague Pageant will take place as part of Montague Summer Days festivities scheduled for July 5-7. Contestants must be between 14 and 18 years of age and attend either Montague Intermediate or Montague Regional High Schools. Applications are available in the main office and can be faxed to 838-5143 (attention Dale Cudmore) or dropped off at the Cavendish Farms Wellness Centre. Deadline for applications is Friday, June 21, 2013.
- Do you love to swim? Interested in learning life saving skills? Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross will be offered starting Wednesday, May 22, at Atlantic Fitness East in Montague. Call 838-3047 to pre-register.