It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Ben Lanigan, Ben MacDonald and Maggie McCarthy! We also extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Kim Kristensen and Cassandra McGillivray.
Welcome Guest Staff: Mike Hambly for Class Composition, Jessica Campbell for Trisha Burrows (am), Steven Wakelin for Lianne Garland, Devin Hornby for Kirk White (pm), and Peggy Franciosa for Gail Johnston.
Alert! Students who are taking bicycles to school, please be sure to bring a lock to ensure that your bike cannot be “borrowed” during school hours.
Congratulations to the MRHS Music Department for their beautiful performances at the Atlantic Festival of Music in Halifax on Thursday and Friday. The Jazz Band, Chrispy and the Squares, and the Small Ensemble all took home silver standings, and Here Comes Treble, The Choir and the Concert Band all brought home gold standings. BRAVO! All members of the Choir and the vocal class are reminded that they must be ready to perform and in the music room by 8:40 Tuesday morning to go perform in the King’s County Music Festival. There will be a very important rehearsal for the choir Tuesday after school at MRHS. You will be learning choreography, so dress comfortably.
Highlights for Today:
- Parent Council meeting is scheduled for this evening, starting at 6:30, in the Library. All are invited!
- Tickets for MRHS’s production of Little Shop of Horrors are now on sale from members of the cast and crew or from Mrs. Hicken in Room #87. The show will run for three nights, May 14, 15, and 16, starting at 7:00 pm. Tickets cost $10 each for adults or $8 for students and seniors. This is going to be an awesome show!
- Students who have not yet paid $20 Student Fees are reminded that it must be paid in order to purchase a Prom Ticket.
- The Men’s Softball team won the Colonel Gray Tipoff Tournament on Saturday, beating Colonel Gray, Westisle, Morell and Bluefield along the way. Thomas Hebert was Tourney MVP pitching in every game. Pierce Conohan was Player of the Game in the Championship, hitting a 3 run home run. The bats were hot all weekend! Come cheer for the team tonight, here at the school, at 5:00pm against Morell.
- Rugby bus departs for KISH at 2:45 pm today.
- Women’s and Men’s softball teams take on Morell at home today at 5 pm. Come out and cheer on your fellow Vikings!
- Softball and Rugby players who have not yet paid their athletic fees should see Ms. Dowd today to do so.
- Rugby shorts are in and can be picked up in Ms. Dowd’s office. Also, players who still need to pay for their shorts can pay Ms. Dowd.
- Track and Field practice on Tuesday and Thursday at 3:15 pm.
- MRHS Athletes of the Week:
- Nick Lund was instrumental in the Men’s Rugby team victory over Souris on Wednesday. Nick made several key catches and tackles and ran well at the fullback position. Nick also converted for the win.
- Allie Boyle had an outstanding match in her first game at the scrum half position in the Women’s Rugby team’s defeat of Westisle on Wednesday. Allie ran well with the ball and was a vocal leader.
- Thomas Hebert pitched in every game as the men’s softball team went 4-0 and won the Colonel Gray Tip Off to Spring Tournament. Thomas played well defensively and batted well to lead the Vikings to victory.
- No Concert Band on Tuesday, May 7 (tomorrow).
- Jazz Band and Concert Band students: There will be no rehearsals until after the “Little Shop of Horrors” productions.
- There will be an important SADD meeting at 12 noon tomorrow (Tuesday) to plan for SADD Week. Please bring your T-shirt money!
- The next STRIVE meeting is this Thursday, May 9, during lunch at the back of the library. Pizza will be provided.
- Peer Helpers – Major projects are due Friday, May 10, and as a result of this, there will be no block meetings this week.
- Musical rehearsals on Wednesday and Friday are from 3:15 – 6:00. All must attend.
- On Thursday, May 9, a representative will be here to talk to Parents and Students about Student Loans. The session will be held at 6:00pm in the Library. Students who would like to attend or have their parents attend are to sign up in student services.
- Holland College has a new scholarship! The Harrison McCain Scholarship will be awarded to a Canadian citizen who has been accepted into a full-time program at Holland College. Financial need will be a primary consideration. Students must apply for the award. Applications are available in student services.
- The deadline for applications for the ‘2013 Atlantic Veterinary College Summer Academy has been extended until Friday, May 10, 2013. See Student Services for more information.
- PEI Mutual Scholarship Applications are now available! Two $800 scholarships will be given to MRHS grads. These scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement and financial need! Interested students are asked to go to Student Services to get your applications. Deadline is May 17, 2013.
- Students who have received scholarships or awards from universities or other organizations are asked to report this information to student services. If possible, please bring in the offer letter. Students who have been awarded scholarships and awards are recognized at graduation and it is important to recognize both the recipient and the donor at that time.
Prom 2013 Update:
- Prom tickets are now on sale from the ticket booth during lunch break at a cost of $25 per person. Tickets will not be available after May 15, so please plan ahead. Also, you’ll need to bring your signed pink prom contract sheet with you when you purchase your tickets. All student fees must be paid to the office before a prom ticket can be purchased.
- Prom Committee is asking all Grads to submit pictures of school events, sports teams or fun memories throughout your Grade 1-12 years for a slide show during the dinner. Please drop off pictures to Ms. MacDougall-Turner in the library or email to email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is May 10.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is May 31 and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Public Service Announcements:
- There will be practice for the Eastern Eagles U16 Girls Soccer Team on Tuesday, May 7, from 6:00-7:30pm at the Eastern Eagles Soccer Complex.