Happy Birthday to Brett Birt and Alec Bryenton.
Welcome Guest Staff: Andrew Murchison for Ralph Jamieson, Janna Goodwin for Bethany MacLeod, Juliana Jorden for Chantelle Beaton, Jessie Campbell for Sharon Anderson, Martin Zver for Lianne Garland, Mike Hambly for Michael Merriam, Jordan Daigle for Zak Likely, Peggy Franciosa for Pauline Kelly and Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell (am).
Highlights for Today:
- MRHS welcomes REEL Canada Film Festival today. Not all classes will be participating in the festival this year; however, if your class is viewing a film, attendance is required as there will be an assignment given for each film shown today.
- Culinary class is serving a Portuguese-themed meal on Thursday. Cost is $8: Get your ticket now!
- Students who have not yet paid $20 Student Fees are reminded that it must be paid in order to purchase a Prom Ticket.
- Women’s Softball meeting in Room 85 at first break. Attendance is mandatory!
- All Rugby and Softball players are reminded that today is the last day to submit your consent forms/contracts and fees ($35 for athletes who have not played another school sport this year, $30 for those who have) to Ms. Dowd. If payment is an issue, please see Ms. Dowd to make alternate arrangements. No forms, no $ = no play!
- The deadline for applications for the ‘2013 Atlantic Veterinary College Summer Academy has been extended until Friday, May 10, 2013. See student services for more information.
- PEI Mutual Scholarship Applications are now available! Two $800 scholarships will be given to MRHS grads. These scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement and financial need! Interested students are asked to go to Student Services to get your applications. Deadline is May 17, 2013.
- UPEI is running a course on Facebook for incoming students called “Experience U”. There are no costs and students can sign up by simply ‘liking’ the page. http://www.facebook.com/experienceu2013
- The Experience U Open Course is an initiative created by UPEI to help any university student answer questions about entering university. Students can share their questions with other new university students, current students who know about your first year and faculty members with answers. Meet some great people, and make connections with other students before class begins!
- Experience U is a five-week course which began on April 25. The remaining four weeks will focus on the following topics:
- Week 2: What’s a syllabus?
- Week 3: What’s research?
- Week 4: How do I succeed at university?
- Week 5: What’s a professor?
Drop into student services to pick up an invitation letter.
- Students who have received scholarships or awards from universities or other organizations are asked to report this information to student services. If possible, please bring in the offer letter. Students who have been awarded scholarships and awards are recognized at graduation and it is important to recognize both the recipient and the donor at that time.
Prom 2013 Update:
- All girls attending prom: Book your makeup appointments at Shoppers Drug Mart! Fee is $25 per booking, but if you buy $25 worth of makeup, your application is free! Cosmeticians are available to help you look your best!
- Prom tickets will be on sale from the ticket booth during lunch break starting next week (from May 6 to May 15) at a cost of $25 per person. Tickets will not be available after May 15, so please plan ahead. Also, you’ll need to bring your signed pink prom contract sheet with you when you purchase your tickets. All student fees must be paid to the office before a prom ticket can be purchased.
- Prom Committee is asking all Grads to submit pictures of school events, sports teams or fun memories throughout your Grade 1-12 years for a slide show during the dinner. Please drop off pictures to Ms. MacDougall-Turner in the library or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is May 10.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is April 30 and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Peer Helpers: There will be Block meetings tomorrow: Wednesday, May 1. Please attend.
- Debate Club meets tomorrow at 3:15 in Room 211.
- CSLC Community Service Committee will meet Thursday at 11:43 in Room 211.
- The next STRIVE meeting is May 9th during lunch at the back of the library. Pizza will be provided.
Public Service Announcements:
- Eastern Eagles U-16 Boys practice at MRHS gym on Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:00 pm.