It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Matthias Drake.
Welcome Guest Staff: Andrew Murchison for Philip MacDonald, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod (pm), Mike Hambly for Charlie Trainor, Jessica Campbell for Anne MacKinnon, Vanessa Foster for Sandra Hicken, and Peggy Franciosa for Rod MacDonald.
Highlights for Today:
- Debate Club will meet at 12:00 in Room 211.
- All Choir and Band students are reminded that your final Halifax trip payment of $100 is due today to Ms. McInnis.
- We need a name! Win a $10 Subway gift card! Fill in a ballot to name the Learning Centre’s store that is open during B block in the ticket booth. Draw date is today at noon! See Brittany at the store for a ballot or fill one in tomorrow in the Library!
- Culinary class is serving a Mexican themed meal today. Cost is $8: get your ticket now!
- Students are reminded that there are no classes tomorrow (Friday).
- Healthy Snacks will be sold from the Ticket Booth every day at morning break. Cost is $1.
- Students are reminded that the “School Store” will be open during B Block every day.
- Students who have not yet paid $20 Student Fees are reminded that it must be paid in order to purchase a Prom Ticket.
- All Rugby and Softball players must submit your consent forms/contracts and fees ($35 for athletes who have not played another school sport this year, $30 for those who have) to Ms. Dowd by Tuesday, May 2. If payment is an issue, please see Ms. Dowd to make alternate arrangements. No forms, no $ = no play!
- Women’s Softball practice will be held on Monday after school.
- MRHS is pleased to announce that there are co-athletes of the week for both women and men for the week of April 15-20. Male athletes of the week are Colin McIntyre and Jason Reeves and the Female Athletes of the week are Erin Brown and Kaytlin Chandler.
- Colin had a dominate performance at the juvenile zone meet held at MRHS. He qualified for the provincial meet in both the singles and doubles events. Colin finished second in the single’s competition and with his partner Jesse Campbell qualified first in doubles.
- Jason wrestled in four matches to win a gold medal at the PEISAA provincial championships held on the weekend. Jason pinned all four of his opponents, including his gold medal opponent in the second round. Congratulations Jason!
- Erin dominated the senior zone, winning the women’s singles event and qualifying for the provincial meet. Erin, along with her mixed doubles partner Ben Lanigan, also had a good showing finishing second and qualifying for provincials.
- Kaytlin pinned her opponent in the first round to win a gold medal at the provincial wrestling championships this past weekend.
- PEI Mutual Scholarship Applications are now available! Two $800 scholarships will be given to MRHS grads. These scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement and financial need! Interested students are asked to go to Student Services to get your applications. Deadline is May 17, 2013.
- Midterm transcripts are not automatically sent to universities. If post secondary institutions have requested midterm transcripts or if students want their 2nd semester academic improvements considered for admission or scholarship purposes, please come to student services to made arrangements to have transcripts sent.
- Students who have received scholarships or awards from universities or other organizations are asked to report this information to student services. If possible, please bring in the offer letter. Students who have been awarded scholarships and awards are recognized at graduation and it is important to recognize both the recipient and the donor at that time.
Prom 2013 Update:
- All girls attending prom: Book your makeup appointments at Shoppers Drug Mart! Fee is $25 per booking, but if you buy $25 worth of makeup, your application is free! Cosmeticians are available to help you look your best!
- Prom tickets will be on sale from May 6 to May 15 for $25 per person in the ticket booth at lunch. Tickets will not be available after May 15, so please plan ahead. Please bring your signed pink prom contract sheet with you when you purchase your tickets. All student fees must be paid to the office before a prom ticket can be purchased.
- Prom Committee is asking all Grads to submit pictures of school events, sports teams or fun memories throughout your Grade 1-12 years for a slide show during the dinner. Please drop off pictures to Ms. MacDougall-Turner in the library or email to email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is May 10.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is April 30 and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
REEL Canada Film Festival:
- MRHS welcomes REEL Canada Film Festival on Tuesday, April 30! The festival gives students and teachers an opportunity to view Canadian films that have content which is relevant to courses offered here at MRHS. Not all classes will be participating in the festival this year. If your class is viewing a film, attendance is required as there will be an assignment given for each film shown on festival day. Please ask your teachers for more details or see Ms. MacDougall-Turner. Watch for further updates as we get closer to festival day!