It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Montana Dunn, Dustin MacDonald and Johann Victor.
Welcome Guest Staff: Kevin Scully for Ronnie Munn, Donna White for Bobby Nicholson, Jonathan Gallant for Peggy Flynn, Kayla Coady for Janet MacDougall-Turner, Pamela Hinks for Pauline Kelly (pm), Trevor MacDonald for Carl Evans, David MacKay for Alana Trainor (am), Bethany MacPhee for Earl Campbell, and Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell.
“Leave the Phone Alone” Campaign: The New HOT 105.5 and the Province of Prince Edward Island are encouraging Islanders to commit to their 60 Day Challenge to not use their cell phones while driving for 60 days. We hope that after everyone realizes that checking for a text message or answering the phone can wait until you’re not driving. Eventually it will become a habit to Leave The Phone Alone when behind the wheel. Everyone can take the pledge at 105.5FM.com or come to the office and sign the pledge sheet that we have available for you. Deadline: Thursday of this week.
Highlights for Today:
- Cafeteria Special: Poutine for $3.25.
- There will be a meeting with all members of the decorating committee of CSLC 2013 in Room #87 at 12:00pm.
- Ms. Dowd’s HAL class will meet in Room 228 today. Please bring your binders.
- Do you want to find out your blood type? Come to the “What’s Your Type?” booth in the lobby today from 11:00 to 1:00 pm. If you are under 17, you must have a permission form.
- Congratulations to Sabryna Schurman, Olivia Jamieson, and Alexander King who will be co-editors of the yearbook next year. Thanks for your contribution to our school!
- Ms. McLane would like everyone to know that she appreciates recent acts of kindness by Olivia Lannigan, Ellen Holland, and Amber Breau. Thanks, girls!
- Teacher Advisors for clubs and organizations in the school are asked to please contact Brendan Curran or Laura Young for a group picture.
- Lost & Found: A pair of pink sneakers has been lost. If found, please bring them to the office. A gold family ring was found last week. You can claim this special piece of jewellery by identifying it in the office.
- Congratulations to Emmalee White who placed in the top three of the Skills Canada Secondary Cooking Competition. Emmalee, Lucus Cuddy, and Morgan MacKay will find out their exact placements at the Awards Night this evening. Stay tuned!
- Any French students interested in participating in the Concours d’Art Oratoire are reminded that the deadline to apply is March 15, this Friday. Great prizes and scholarships to be won. See Mme McLane for more information.
- The first Men’s Rugby meeting will be held today in the carpentry shop at 12:00 noon.
- Congratulations to all power lifters on their performance at provincials yesterday.
- Receipts for athletic fees are available from Ms. Dowd if needed for income tax purposes.
- Women’s Basketball Players must return their uniforms to Ms. Dowd this week.
- Bluefield High School Hockey Tournament Schedule for MRHS games:
- Tuesday, March 26
- Bluefield @ Montague (Boys) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Colonel Gray @ Montague (Girls) @ 6 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Wednesday, March 27
- Souris @ Montague (Girls) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Souris @ Montague (Boys) @ 6 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Thursday, March 28
- Colonel Gray @ Montague (Boys) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Montague @ Bluefield (Girls) @ 5:30 pm – CARI
- Tuesday, March 26
- Thursday’s Cafeteria Special: Homemade chili with a garlic bun and a small white milk for $5.
- There will be block meetings tomorrow (Thursday). Everyone should attend.
- Holland College Visit: Reps from Holland College will be here this Thursday, to meet with students who have been accepted, looking to apply or are interested in Holland College. Information will be available regarding scholarships, applications, programs, program availability or to answer any questions you may have. Pop by the library at 11:45am to have your questions answered!
- Any students who would like to learn more about Med School are invited to attend an information session put on by a medical student from MUN in the library during lunch break on Friday. Interested students are asked to sign up in Student Services.
- Volunteer Opportunity: National U16 Softball Championships, August 7-11 (O’Leary PEI). Volunteer forms are available in student services!
- Speech Language Pathologist, Jenna Coady, a Speech Language Pathologist on PEI will be at Montague High to talk with students who are interested in pursuing a career in Speech. A sign up sheet is available in Student Services. The session will be Wednesday, March 27, at 12:00 in Student Services.
- The University of Prince Edward Island is pleased to invite high school students to attend UPEI classes on Monday, March 18, and/or Tuesday, March 19, during their March break. The University will provide lunch on both days. On Monday, the lunch will be hosted by the Atlantic Veterinary College and tours of the AVC will follow. On Tuesday, the UPEI Student Union will host lunch, followed by tours of the campus. Class visitations are available in the following subject areas: Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Spanish, History, Global Issues, English, Psychology, Applied Heath Services, Business, Women’s Studies, University 101. For a more elaborate list of which courses are available please visit student services. Interested students can register by emailing VPA@upei.ca with course selection and day by March 14, 2013.
- UPEI First Year Advisement, March 27 at 4:00pm: UPEI will be sending 3 advisement representatives to MRHS to help future UPEI students pick out first year courses and answer any questions you may have about 1st year at UPEI! This is a great opportunity for students who plan to attend UPEI in the fall to ask questions about courses, housing, campus and different major and minor options. All interested students are asked to sign up for a time slot in student services! Time slots are assigned on a first come first serve basis so hurry in ASAP!
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is today is March 29th and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a library monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
Public Service Notices:
- There will be an “Author Talk” with award-winning author Sharon McKay at the Montague Rotary Library today, starting at 3:30 pm. Everyone is welcome!
- Abegweit Driving School will be holding Drivers’ Ed classes from May 7 – 30. Students can enroll by calling 902-566-1482 or online at www.drivepei.com