It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Luke MacPhee, Hailey McCarthy, and Trevor Wheeler. We extend belated greetings to the following students who had their birthdays over the weekend: Daniel Emery, Dakota Quinn, James Sudsbury, and Brody Trainor.
Welcome Guest Staff: Trevor MacDonald for Trisha Burrows, Donna White for Kim Mason, Marlo Dodge for Gail Greene, and Peggy Franciosa for Pamela Harris.
“Leave the Phone Alone” Campaign: The New HOT 105.5 and the Province of Prince Edward Island are encouraging islanders to commit to their 60 Day Challenge to not use their cell phones while driving for 60 days. We hope that after everyone realizes that checking for a text message or answering the phone can wait until you’re not driving. Eventually it will become a habit to Leave The Phone Alone when behind the wheel. Everyone can take the pledge at 105.5FM.com and for schools they are providing pledge sheets that can be signed and will be picked up by a rep later in the week.
Highlights for Today:
- Today in the Cafeteria: Chicken nugget platter (3 nuggets, baked wedges), comes with a small white milk and a choice of dip for $5.50.
- There was an 8GB flashdrive (black Sony) left in the Library. If this is yours, please pick it up!
- There will be a meeting for all members of the Spirit Leader Training Group at 12:05 today in Learning Centre B.
- Peer Helpers: Please go to Room #87 at 12:30 today for a presentation.
- Any French students interested in participating in the Concours d’Art Oratoire are reminded that the deadline to apply is March 15, this Friday. Great prizes and scholarships to be won. See Mme McLane or Mme Flynn for more information.
- Women’s and Men’s Rugby training session is scheduled for tomorrow at 3:15 pm in the gym. All are welcome!
- The first Men’s Rugby meeting will be held on Wednesday in Mr. Munn’s room after school until 4:30pm.
- Tickets for the Bluefield High School Hockey Tournament will be for sale at the ticket booth during lunch break starting on tomorrow, March 12. Tickets are $5 per day for students and $10 for three days for parents. Also 50/50 tickets are on sale for $5 (there will be one large 50/50 draw for the whole tournament – there is already over $1000 in the pot). All proceeds go to the MRHS Athletic Department. MRHS game schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, March 26
- Bluefield @ Montague (Boys) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Colonel Gray @ Montague (Girls) @ 6 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Wednesday, March 27
- Souris @ Montague (Girls) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Souris @ Montague (Boys) @ 6 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Thursday, March 28
- Colonel Gray @ Montague (Boys) @ 4:30 pm – Cavendish Wellness Centre
- Montague @ Bluefield (Girls) @ 5:30 pm – CARI
- Tuesday, March 26
- There will be block meetings on Thursday, March 14th. Everyone should attend.
- Do you want to find out your blood type? Come to the “What’s Your Type?” booth in the lobby this Wednesday from 11:00 to 1:00 pm. If you are under 17, there are permission forms available from Mr. Trainor in Room 131.
- The University of Prince Edward Island is pleased to invite high school students to attend UPEI classes on Monday, March 18, and/or Tuesday, March 19, during their March break. The University will provide lunch on both days. On Monday, the lunch will be hosted by the Atlantic Veterinary College and tours of the AVC will follow. On Tuesday, the UPEI Student Union will host lunch, followed by tours of the campus. Class visitations are available in the following subject areas: Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Spanish, History, Global Issues, English, Psychology, Applied Heath Services, Business, Women’s Studies, University 101. For a more elaborate list of which courses are available please visit student services. Interested students can register by emailing VPA@upei.ca with course selection and day by March 14, 2013.
- UPEI First Year Advisement, March 27 at 4:00pm: UPEI will be sending 3 advisement representatives to MRHS to help future UPEI students pick out first year courses and answer any questions you may have about 1st year at UPEI! This is a great opportunity for students who plan to attend UPEI in the fall to ask questions about courses, housing, campus and different major and minor options. All interested students are asked to sign up for a time slot in student services! Time slots are assigned on a first come first serve basis so hurry in ASAP!
From the Library:
- Congratulations to Stephanie Hinks on winning a $10 gift card for knowing the books in the display case were all previously banned or challenged books in Canada or the US.
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is today is March 29th and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a library monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
Public Service Notices:
- There will be an “Author Talk” with award-winning author Sharon McKay at the Montague Rotary Library on Wednesday, March 13, at 3:30 pm. Everyone is welcome!
- Abegweit Driving School will be holding Drivers’ Ed classes from May 7 – 30. Students can enroll by calling 902-566-1482 or online at www.drivepei.com
- It’s PROM Season! An eight-week boot camp designed to help educate and motivate teenagers to lead a very healthy and active lifestyle is being offered at Atlantic Fitness East. Camps include group time with a certified trainer as well as discussions with a nutritionist. Even though they having already started, new recruits are welcome! Gals’ Group meets on Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30, and Guys (includes weight-lifting) meet on Thursdays, same times. Please call Cheryl at 838-3047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org