It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Katie Arsenault, Shelby White and early greetings to Jessie Bell who has a birthday on February 29! Special birthday wishes to Yvonne Higgins to turns 60 today!!
Welcome Guest Staff: Kevin Scully for Chantelle Beaton, Martin Zver for Karen Malone, Adam Gauthier for Trisha Burrows, Faber MacDonald for Mary Ellen Lowther, Mike Hambly for Jonathan Hayes (pm), and Marlo Dodge for Gail Greene.
Vote! Vote! Vote! One of our staff, Ms. Amy Beck, was shortlisted for the top ten in the PEI CBC Radio Searchlight Competition. Ms. Beck has entered this contest with her sister, Rachel. If you like their song and would like to vote for them (every day this week….) please go to http://www.music.cbc.ca . Thanks!! Congratulations, Ms. Beck!
Highlights for Today:
- A jump drive was found yesterday in the downstairs computer lab. Also a grey plaid jacket has been in the office for a few days. If you are missing either of these items, please claim it by visiting the main office.
- It is very important that Allie Boyle, Owen Shaw, Megan Walsh, and Emma MacDonald please see Mrs. Hicken some time today.
- There will be block meetings today for all peer helpers. Please make sure you attend.
- The second STRIVE meeting is scheduled for lunch break today in the Library Seminar room. New members are welcome!
Stop Bullying Week at MRHS:
- Decorate Your Classroom Door Pink with judging to take place on Friday.
- Pave it Pink is a “pay it forward” idea. We will have pink t-shirt cutouts for teachers, students and staff to write positive “pay it forward” acts of kindness shown to others throughout the week. The t-shirts will be hung on the wall in the hall to see if we can make a “clothes-line” or “highway” of t-shirts throughout the school starting from the front entry, down the main hall and upstairs and back again. Each act of kindness no matter how big or how small will be put up on the walls. Let’s see if MRHS can fill the halls with kindness next week! When you have pink shirts filled in please bring them to the library.
- Anyone interested in playing badminton should sign up; the sheet is located in the Phys. Ed. hallway. Practices start Monday, March 4, after school.
- All women’s hockey players who have not handed in their money and permission forms are now late and must have these in to Ms. Coady ASAP!
From the Library:
- If you haven’t already heard …there’s someone new in the library. Please come into the library to meet him. He needs a name and the student whose ballot is chosen will win a $10 gift card.
- Thank you to all the 200 MRHS students who signed up for class pager! You will begin to get text messages from the library beginning March 1st. 1 or 2 texts per month and you never know when a prize will be given to a class or individual student!
- A brief Stop Cyberbullying meeting will be held in the conference room of the library today at noon.
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is today and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a library monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
- Triathlon Meeting will be held on Friday at 12:00 in Learning Centre A. You will be picking a day for our first indoor event, so don’t miss it! Bring your lunch if you like!
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications Deadline: March 1.
- UNB Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1. Available only online!
- Camp Abegweit: Application forms for Camp Coordinator and Counsellors are available in the Guidance Office. Deadline is March 27.
- Scholarship packages for Honour Roll students applying to Saint Thomas University are available.
Public Service Notes:
- Abegweit Driving School will be holding Drivers’ Ed classes from May 7 – 30. Students can enroll by calling 902-566-1482 or online at http://www.drivepei.com.
- All students aged 13-21 are invited to a Youth Event, hosted by the King James Bible Baptist Church (Caledonia), being held at the Murphy Community Centre in Charlottetown, on Saturday, March 9 from 5 to 8 pm. Cost is $5 per person (includes bowling, food, and pop) if paid by March 2. After that date, cost increases to $10 per person. Call 838-4027 for more information or if you need a ride.