It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Colby Gillis, Zachary Jenkins, Bayley Matheson and Sam Ross.
Welcome Guest Staff: Kevin Scully for Chantelle Beaton, Martin Zver for Karen Malone, David MacPhee for Krista MacFarlane, Dean Woodside for Earl Campbell, and Marlo Dodge for Pauline Kelly.
Highlights for Today:
- SADD meeting at 12:00 noon in Room 224.
- All Europe Travellers are to meet at 12:00 noon in Mme Flynn’s room.
- Tonight at 7:00 pm, UNB is hosting a “Transition to UNB Fredericton” student and parent information session at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown.
Stop Bullying Week at MRHS – Pink Shirt Day on Wednesday, February 27!
- Decorate Your Classroom Door Pink with judging to take place on Friday.
- Pave it Pink is a “pay it forward” idea. We will have pink t-shirt cutouts for teachers, students and staff to write positive “pay it forward” acts of kindness shown to others throughout the week. The t-shirts will be hung on the wall in the hall to see if we can make a “clothes-line” or “highway” of t-shirts throughout the school starting from the front entry, down the main hall and upstairs and back again. Each act of kindness no matter how big or how small will be put up on the walls. Let’s see if MRHS can fill the halls with kindness next week! When you have pink shirts filled in please bring them to the library.
- Wear pink on Wednesday. There are “official” Pink shirts available at Mark’s Work Wearhouse for $10 but any pink will do. A picture will be taken just before lunch of all the pink!
- The Women’s Basketball Team lost to Rural last night, in a hard fought game 35 – 44. Monica Furness and Thea Stewart both had 8 points and Michaela LaPorte had 5 points. Congratulations to Monica Furness for being named to the All Star team for the league this year. Monica was also named as an All Star for the playoffs. Congratulations to Thea Stewart for being named as an All Star for the playoffs. Congratulations to the Women’s Basketball Team for winning Silver Medal in the A division. They have come a long way! The coaches would like to thank the ladies on their dedication and hard work this year.
- Students who are interested in participating in a summer field hockey program that begins in May should see Ms. Dowd for details.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is this Thursdayand the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club has been cancelled for this month. The next meeting date will be posted soon.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a library monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school, please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
- There will be block meetings on Thursday for all peer helpers. Please make sure you attend.
- MRHS has been invited to participate in the 2012-13 School Health Action Planning Evaluation System – PEI (SHAPES-PEI) survey. This survey, which is implemented by UPEI and the PEI Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, collects information and youth perspectives on multiple health behaviours such as healthy eating, physical activity, tobacco and alcohol use, school connectedness, and more. Following the completion of the survey, MRHS will receive a comprehensive School Health and Profile Summary. MRHS students are scheduled to complete the survey on Friday, March 1. Parents should receive permission letters for their children in the mail. If you do not receive a letter, you can obtain one at the main office at MRHS. More information about this survey is available at http://www.upei.ca/cshr/SHAPES.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- UNB: “Admission on the Spot” – February 27, 9:30am.
- Explore Program Deadline: February 28.
- The second STRIVE meeting is scheduled for lunch break on February 28 in the Library Seminar room. New members are welcome! STRIVE is a scholarship program sponsored by the Montague Rotory Club which rewards and supports students who have made significant improvements in their school performance and attendance from Grades 11 – 12. Participants in the program attend 3-4 lunch hour meetings throughout the year and two of the participants are awarded a $1000 scholarship for postsecondary study. If you have any questions see Mr Conohan or Ms Coady.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications Deadline: March 1.
- UNB Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1. Available only online!
- Camp Abegweit: Application forms for Camp Coordinator and Counsellors are available in the Guidance Office. Deadline is March 27.
- Scholarship packages for Honour Roll students applying to Saint Thomas University are available.
- Projects Abroad provides opportunities for students to live and work in developing countries. For more information, visit www.projectsabroad.ca.
- The Atlantic Veterinary College will offer its Summer Academy in August for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a degree in veterinary medicine. Applicants must be accepted into university and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, visit student services.