It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome Guest Staff: Kevin Scully for Philip MacDonald, Donna White for Anne MacKinnon, Dean Woodside for Earl Campbell, Marlo Dodge for Gail Greene, and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy.
Scent Free Policy: Students and staff are reminded that MRHS is a scent free space. Some students are very sensitive to scents so we are asking cooperation from everyone to refrain from wearing scented products.
Highlights for Today:
- Staff of MRHS would like to thank the Parent Council for organizing treats & gifts for Staff Appreciation Week! Monday’s winners of the prizes were Bonnie Squires and Maureen MacDonald. Tuesday’s winner was Lianne Garland.
- The following students are asked to see Ms. Dowd some time today: Ashley Cotton, Ryan Ferguson, Sarah Davidson, Michaela LaPorte, James Sudsbury, Kirsten Stewart, Joseph Richard, Thea Stewart.
- Matchmaker will be sold at the main student entrance today, Thursday, and Friday this week at noon. The cost is $2.00. Come and see who are your best matches at school.
- Europe Travellers: You are reminded that your bus money and signed forms are now past due. Also, please see Mme Flynn to help complete the phone tree. There are still a few passports that have not been handed in to Dawn yet. Please take care of that immediately.
- Grade 12 Ski trip is planned for February 21. No experience is needed (lessons are available). Students must have a permission form signed by a parent/guardian, and must travel on the bus. There are three cost options: $5 covers bus cost (come and hang out at Brookvale), $10 includes lift ticket and bus, or $20 includes rental equipment, lift ticket, and bus.
Family Violence Prevention Week: The SAVE group has planned the following events this week:
- From Monday through Thursday SAVE members will be selling candy-grams at lunch. Buy one of these sweet treat bags and sent a message of kindness, love, or appreciation to a friend.
- On Wednesday there will be the walk of silence for all involved school groups. A list of participating students will be sent to teachers.
- On Thursday, wear purple to show your support for the prevention of violence. This is a homeroom challenge and the room with the most people in purple will receive a $50 dollar gift certificate to Famous Peppers Pizza.
- On Friday candy-grams will be delivered; and an inspiring video, written, directed, and produced by a class of Montague students will be played for the whole student body. There will also be a SAVE bake sale at lunch.
- Throughout the week some short announcements, audio skits and songs written by past and present SAVE members will be played to remind everyone that taking a stand can help prevent violence.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is February 28, and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet on Wednesday, February 20, at 3:10pm in the Library.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the Library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the Library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a Library Monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school, please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
- Parents’ meeting for Europe Travellers on February 19 at 6:30 pm. Meet in Mme Flynn’s room to go over final forms and answer any questions you and your parents may have.
- There is a benefit concert planned for Robie and Tammy Gardiner on February 17 (this coming Sunday) from 2 to 4 pm. This family had a house fire. All are invited out to the concert which will include lots of great entertainment as well as sale of fudge, 50/50 tickets and door prize tickets. Lunch will be provided.
- Abegweit Driving School will be having classes at MRHS from May 7 to 30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To register, call 902-566-1482 or email email@example.com
- Game Force is offering their Game Force 3D program at Montague High, starting Monday, February 25 and ending Thursday, March 7, from 3:20 to 5:20 pm. Only 10 seats are available. Students who have taken computer courses (CMP521, CMP621, ITE801 or CMM801) will be given preference. Seats will then be open to anyone who has taken ITC. You must be willing to commit to the 8 days. See Ms. Garland by Friday if you are interested.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- NSCC just recently added a new Practical Nursing program at Cumberland Campus’ Amherst location. Spots are still available and interested students should apply as soon as possible as admission is on a first come, first served, basis. The first student applicants who meet program admission requirements are admitted to the program.
- Attention Grade 12 students: First semester transcripts are being sent out to Colleges and Universities this week. If you are planning to apply to a post secondary school, you should fill out a transcript request form if you have not already done so.
- Camp Abegweit: Application forms for Camp Coordinator and Counsellors are available in the Guidance Office. Deadline is March 27.
- Scholarship packages for Honour Roll students applying to Saint Thomas University are available.
- Projects Abroad provides opportunities for students to live and work in developing countries. For more information, visit www.projectsabroad.ca.
- The Atlantic Veterinary College will offer its Summer Academy in August for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a degree in veterinary medicine. The College’s Summer Academy provides student an exceptional opportunity to explore the profession in a hands-on, authentic way. Applicants must be accepted into University and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, visit student services.
- An RCMP officer will be coming to the school on the morning of February 25 to do an info session for students thinking about pursuing a career in the RCMP. Students must sign up and have teacher’s permission to attend this session. Go to student services to sign up or obtain more information.
- Saint Thomas University: FREE “Admission on the Spot” – February 20, 11:30am
- UNB: On February 26 at 7:00 pm, UNB is hosting a “Transition to UNB Fredericton” student and parent information session at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown.
- UNB: “Admission on the Spot” – February 27, 9:30am.
- Explore Program Deadline: February 28.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications Deadline: March 1.
- UNB Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1. Available only online!