It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to: Alyssa Ferguson.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Taylor Johnson for Bethany MacLeod and Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson (pm).
Highlights for Today:
- The CSLC 2012 video will be viewed in Room #87 during lunch today. Everyone is invited to come!
- SAVE meeting today at lunch in the Seminar Room in the Library.
- Would all Europe Travelers please stop by Mme Flynn’s room today to give her an emergency contact number for the phone tree.
- Quit 4 Life meets today at 11:30am in the Library Conference room. Bring your sneakers! If you are interested in joining the program to help you quit smoking, please see Mrs. MacDougall.
- Europe Travellers: Remember to get your passports in to Dawn at the office so that we can photocopy the first page and number them. You can drop them off to Dawn in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. Also, please mark February 19 at 6:30 p.m. on your calendars. You’ll have your parents’ meeting in Mme Flynn’s room to go over final forms and answer any questions you and your parents may have.
Information for Grads:
- Ski trip is planned for February 21. No experience is needed (lessons are available). Students must have a permission form signed by a parent/guardian, and must travel on the bus. There are three cost options: $5 covers bus cost (come and hang out at Brookvale), $10 includes lift ticket and bus, or $20 includes rental equipment, lift ticket, and bus.
- Congratulations to Ellen MacNearney on winning Gold and Bronze medals in cross country skiing at the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games in Pyeongchang, Korea!
From the Library:
- Congrats to Celestte Gamble for winning January’s $10 gift card to McDonald’s. Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is February 28, and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Stop Cyberbullying meeting on Tuesday, February 12, at noon in the Library Conference room. Please drop your survey questions off to Ms. MacDougall-Turner asap!
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet on Wednesday, February 20, at 3:10pm in the Library.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the Library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the Library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a Library Monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school, please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- The Dalhousie Faculty of Computer Science (FCS) is hosting their annual Computer Science Day for high school students contemplating a degree in computer science or informatics on Saturday, February 9, 2013. Students will attend their choice of two workshops from: autonomous robots, web application security, graphic game design and hacking the Kinect. Registration (cs.dal.ca/csday) is necessary and it’s encouraged that students register as soon as possible so they can get in the sessions of their choice.
- The Atlantic Veterinary College will offer its Summer Academy in August for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a degree in veterinary medicine. The College’s Summer Academy provides student an exceptional opportunity to explore the profession in a hands-on, authentic way. Applicants must be accepted into University and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, visit student services.
- St. FX will be hosting an information session for new applicants and their parents in Ch’town, at the Hotel on Pownal on Tuesday, Feb. 12, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Participants must register in advance at email@example.com. Visit student services for more information.
- An RCMP officer will be coming to the school on the morning of February 25 to do an info session for students thinking about pursuing a career in the RCMP. Students must sign up and have teacher’s permission to attend this session. Go to student services to sign up or obtain more information.
- Saint Thomas University: FREE “Admission on the Spot” – February 20, 11:30am
- UNB: “Admission on the Spot” – February 27, 9:30am.
- Explore Program Deadline: February 28.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications Deadline: March 1.
- UNB Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1. Available only online!