It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to: Evan O’Brien!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Jonathan Gallant for Mary Ellen Lowther and Kelsea McLean for Janet MacDougall-Turner.
Highlights for Today:
- Europe Travellers: This is a reminder to get your passports in to Dawn at the office so that we can photocopy the first page and number them. You can drop them off to Dawn in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. You’ll meet on Thursday of this week at 12:00 sharp. Please be on time. Also, please mark February 19 at 6:30 p.m. on your calendars. You’ll have your parents’ meeting in Mme Flynn’s room to go over final forms and answer any questions you and your parents may have.
- Hello hockey players! Student Council is taking a tally of what students would be interested in putting a six-person team in for a “shinny tournament”. The games would most likely be played at lunch, but we can take a vote to see if after school would be more convenient. It will be an outdoor tournament, with start dates depending on weather. So, if you’re interested in entering a small pond hockey team, let Julie Grant, Hannah Nabuurs, or Bryce Stewart know. Thanks!
- Choir and vocal ensembles all start up again this week. Be there!
Information for Grads:
- Ski trip is planned for February 21. No experience is needed (lessons are available). Students must have a permission form signed by a parent/guardian, and must travel on the bus. There are three cost options: $5 covers bus cost (come and hang out at Brookvale), $10 includes lift ticket and bus, or $20 includes rental equipment, lift ticket, and bus.
- Students interested in purchasing grad clothing should pick up an order form; money and orders are due back on February 7.
- Students have an opportunity to participate in the Caps 50/50 Safe Grad Fundraiser. $10 will get one 50/50 ticket to be drawn February 15 and one ticket to a Caps hockey game in Summerside. Grads are responsible to return $50 for a booklet of 5 tickets; money and/or tickets must be returned by February 7.
- Wrestling Results: Jason Reeves won Gold in Intermediate Boys, going undefeated, and Kaytlin Chandler won Silver with 3 wins and 1 loss in Intermediate Girls at the Sackville High Wrestling Festival over the weekend in Lower Sackville, NS. Congratulations!
- Wrestling Practices will go Mondays and Wednesdays from 4 to 5:30 at Montague Consolidated.
- Come out and cheer on your basketball teams as they take on Morell this evening. Women play at 5 pm and Men kick off the SUBWAY Island Hoop Fest Tournament at 7 pm.
- Mark Quinn will be running softball skills clinics at Montague Intermediate School starting today. More information and registration forms are available at the Phys. Ed. office.
From the Library:
- Congrats to Celestte Gamble for winning January’s $10 gift card to McDonald’s. Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is February 28, and the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Important Anime and Manga Club meeting on Thurs, February 7, at noon in the Library Conference room. Bring your lunch!
- Students and parents interested in information on e-readers, loading books, or reading via an electronic device are invited to please come to an information session at the MRHS Library on Thursday, Februay 7 at 6pm. Please contact Ms. MacDougall-Turner for further details.
- Stop Cyberbullying meeting on Tuesday, February 12, at noon in the Library Conference room. Please drop your survey questions off to Ms. MacDougall-Turner asap!
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet on Wednesday, February 20, at 3:10pm in the Library.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Do you have a suggestion for fiction, non-fiction, magazines for the Library? Please write your suggestions on the bulletin board in the Library or speak with Ms. MacDougall-Turner. An order is being placed very soon!
- If you are interested in being a Library Monitor in the morning, during lunch break or after school, please see Ms. MacDougall-Turner.
- Quit 4 Life meets Friday, January 8, at 11:30am in the library conference room. Bring your sneakers! If you are interested in joining the program to help you quit smoking, please see Mrs. MacDougall.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- The Dalhousie Faculty of Computer Science (FCS) is hosting their annual Computer Science Day for high school students contemplating a degree in computer science or informatics on Saturday, February 9, 2013. This event is an excellent chance for students to experience firsthand what a degree in this field could mean for them. Students will attend their choice of two workshops from: autonomous robots, web application security, graphic game design and hacking the Kinect. Registration (cs.dal.ca/csday) is necessary and it’s encouraged that students register as soon as possible so they can get in the sessions of their choice.
- The Atlantic Veterinary College will offer its Summer Academy in August for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a degree in veterinary medicine. The College’s Summer Academy provides student an exceptional opportunity to explore the profession in a hands-on, authentic way. Applicants must be accepted into University and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, visit student services.
- St. FX will be hosting an information session for new applicants and their parents in Charlottetown, at the Hotel on Pownal on Tuesday, February 12, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Participants must register in advance at email@example.com. Visit student services for more information.
- An RCMP officer will be coming to the school on the morning of February 25 to do an info session for students thinking about pursuing a career in the RCMP. Students must sign up and have teacher’s permission to attend this session. Go to student services to sign up or obtain more information.
- Saint Thomas University: FREE “Admission on the Spot” – February 20, 11:30am
- UNB: “Admission on the Spot” – February 27, 9:30am.
- Explore Program Deadline: February 28.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications Deadline: March 1.
- UNB Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1. Available only online!