It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Tristan Chatman and Dylan Lowery. Also to Alanna VanWiechen who is having a birthday tomorrow.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Martin Zver for Lianne Garland, Mike Hambly for Andrew Henderson (am) and Jonathan Hayes (pm), Pamela Betteridge for Tim Lea, Brian Somers for Peter Connaughton, Donna White for Janet MacDougall-Turner, Lynn Gorvette for Gail Greene (pm), and Wanda Cheverie for Yvonne Higgins.
Wow! The Women’s Basketball team beat Morell 39 – 36 last night in a very entertaining game. It was back and forth all game. With less then two minutes left in the game, the girls were down by 3 points. But they never gave up and battled back to go up by 3 with less than 20 second left in the game. Great job ladies!!!
- Today in the Cafeteria: Homemade chili with a garlic bun and a small white milk for $5.
- The Culinary class is serving left-overs today at a cost of $3: Mac ‘n Cheese, biscuit and a smoothie. Baked chicken can be added at an additional cost of $1. Limited quantities are available, so come early. First come, first served!
- There will be a Grad Activity Committee meeting today at 12pm in Room 119.
- Please participate in the Social Silence Campaign. Students are asked to take a vow of silence from all social networking sites to help combat Cyberbullying. Pledge sheets can be found next to the elevator, gym doors and in the upstairs hallway. All we need is your name for a silent fight!
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Hayden MacKinnon of Albion. Hayden is a dedicated member of the power lifting team who has worked hard all season to improve his personal fitness and lifting. Hayden finished 7th out of 33 lifters in his weight class at the meet held in Westisle last week.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Alanna VanWiechen, a Grade Eleven student from St. Mary’s Road. In her last two games, Alanna has averaged 15 points per game. Her ability to play a complete game without a break is a real asset to her team.
- Come out and cheer on your Women’s Basketball team in the Viking Classic this weekend. The women play at 1:30 pm today against KISH, and at 1 pm on Saturday against Kinkora. Championship game is at 2:45 pm on Saturday. Full schedule is posted by the PE area doors.
- Erin MacNeil, Ashton Martin-MacLean, Ally Gallant, and Brianne Jones… If you didn’t see Ms. Dowd yesterday, make sure you do it today!
- All students who are interested in playing on the badminton team this year are encouraged to attend recreational badminton which is held in the high school gym on Sunday evenings from 7-9 pm.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes.
- All are invited to the Team Canada Pep Rally on Tuesday, January 22, from 6 to 7:30pm, in the Hambly room of the Cavendish wellness Centre in Montague. Alyssa Chapman and Ellen MacNearney will be competing at the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games in South Korea and this would be a great opportunity to cheer them on.
- The Global Action club ice cream fundraiser is scheduled for next Wednesday: $1.50 for plain ice cream and $2 for ice cream and toppings. All proceeds will be going to our twin school in Kiirua, Kenya.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. The Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.
- UPEI Music Program Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at www.upei.ca/music
- McGill University Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. All interested students must be sure to submit their application as well as fill out a transcript request form prior to this deadline.
- UNB is doing an admission on the Spot event here at the school in the Library on February 27 at 9:30 am. To sign up, please visit Student Services.
- Explore Program: Includes a bursary of $2,000, covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. Deadline to apply: February 28, 2013.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarship Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships with a few exceptions. Deadline: March 1, 2013. http://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html