It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Hannah Buell, Paige Butler, Jordan Fox, Brianne MacDonald and Fraser Van Iderstine.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Martin Zver for Lianne Garland, Michael Hambly for Andrew Henderson (am), Kelsea MacLean for Janet MacDougall-Turner, Jonathan Gallant for Peggy Flynn (pm), Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson (pm), and Wanda Cheverie for Yvonne Higgins (pm).
- Today in the Cafeteria: Poutine (fries, cheese, gravy) for $3.25; Perogies with salsa and sour cream for $2.35.
- The Anime and Manga Club is meeting today at 12:00 noon in the Library Conference room. Members may bring your lunches.
- There will be a brief Student Council meeting in Ms. Hicken’s room at lunch today.
- The Library is closing today at 3:10pm.
- Please participate in the Social Silence Campaign. Students are asked to take a vow of silence from all social networking sites to help combat Cyberbullying. Pledge sheets can be found next to the elevator, gym doors and in the upstairs hallway. All we need is your name for a silent fight!
- Due to the Drama presentation today, there will be no Cafeteria access available for morning break between A and B Blocks.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Hayden MacKinnon of Albion. Hayden is a dedicated member of the power lifting team who has worked hard all season to improve his personal fitness and lifting. Hayden finished 7th out of 33 lifters in his weight class at the meet held in Westisle last week.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Alanna VanWiechen, a Grade Eleven student from St. Mary’s Road. In her last two games, Alanna has averaged 15 points per game. Her ability to play a complete game without a break is a real asset to her team.
- Come out and cheer on your Women’s Basketball team as they take on Morell this evening at 5:30 pm in the opening game of the MRHS-SUBWAY Viking Classic!
- Any female or male high school volleyball players interested in trying out for the provincial teams, please see Ms. Dowd for more information.
- Any Women’s Volleyball players interested in playing in a senior women’s league at UPEI please see Ms. Dowd for more information.
- All students who are interested in playing on the badminton team this year are encouraged to attend recreational badminton which is held in the high school gym on Sunday evenings from 7-9 pm.
- Power Lifters: Practices will be taking place on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:15. All power lifters are expected to attend.
- Field Hockey players: Information regarding indoor field hockey in Stratford is posted in the PE area. You can also see Ms. Dowd for more details.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes.
- All are invited to the Team Canada Pep Rally on Tuesday, January 22, from 6 to 7:30pm, in the Hambly room of the Cavendish wellness Centre in Montague. Alyssa Chapman and Ellen MacNearney will be competing at the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games in South Korea and this would be a great opportunity to cheer them on.
- Triathletes: Please request to join MRHS Triathlon on Facebook where training notices will be posted.
- Friday in the Cafeteria: Homemade chili with a garlic bun and a small white milk for $5.
- There will be a Grad Activity Committee meeting on Friday at 12pm in Room 119.
- The Global Action club ice cream fundraiser will be postponed until next Wednesday. $1.50 for plain ice cream and $2 for ice cream and toppings. All proceeds will be going to our twin school in Kiirua, Kenya.
From the Library:
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. The Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Student Services Notices: (More Information Available in Student Services Office)
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.
- UPEI Music Program Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at www.upei.ca/music
- McGill University Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. All interested students must be sure to submit their application as well as fill out a transcript request form prior to this deadline.
- UNB is doing an admission on the Spot event here at the school in the Library on February 27 at 9:30 am. To sign up, please visit Student Services.
- Explore Program: Includes a bursary of $2,000, covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. Deadline to apply: February 28, 2013.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarship Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships with a few exceptions. Deadline: March 1, 2013. http://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html