It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Josie Johnston and Sarah Martin.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Martin Zver for Lianne Garland, Pamela Betteridge for Trisha Burrows, Donna White for Kim Mason, Brian Somers for Peter Connaughton, Zak Likely for Mary Ellen Lowther, and Jonathan Gallant for Alana Trainor(pm).
- Today in the Cafeteria: Open faced hot hamburgers with mashed potatoes, veggies, gravy and a small white milk for $5.50.
- SNAC is selling Chicken Caesar wraps with a drink today. Both for $4.
- Global Action Club will meet today in Mr. Lea’s room at 12:00 noon.
- Harry Potter Club will be meeting today at 11:42 in Learning Centre B. Your professors look forward to judging the theme park proposals. May the best wizards win!
- Students are encouraged to submit requests for the Friday Song to the office by Thursday each week. Students who want to request a song must submit a printed copy of the lyrics with your name on the top.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Hayden MacKinnon of Albion. Hayden is a dedicated member of the power lifting team who has worked hard all season to improve his personal fitness and lifting. Hayden finished 7th out of 33 lifters in his weight class at the meet held in Westisle last week.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 7-11 is Alanna VanWiechen, a Grade Eleven student from St. Mary’s Road. In her last two games, Alanna has averaged 15 points per game. Her ability to play a complete game without a break is a real asset to her team.
- Your Men’s Basketball Team won their second game in a row last night at Colonel Gray. Team defense and strong rebounding got the Vikings off to a great start, and they never looked back. Brett Birt’s inside scoring and tough rebounding led the charge with 14 points, Mitchel Henderson’s aggressive play resulted in 14 points off the bench, and Jagger Acorn’s timely shooting kept the Gray team off balance as he knocked down 3 three point shots, finishing with 11 points. The team will travel to Three Oaks tomorrow to take on the #2 ranked Axemen at 6pm. FINAL SCORE: MRHS 68 Gray 41
- There will be a brief meeting for the “For the Boys” dodgeball team in Ms. Dowd’s office at morning break today.
- Any female or male high school volleyball players interested in trying out for the provincial teams, please see Ms. Dowd for more information.
- Any Women’s Volleyball players interested in playing in a senior women’s league at UPEI please see Ms. Dowd for more information.
- All students who are interested in playing on the badminton team this year are encouraged to attend recreational badminton which is held in the high school gym on Sunday evenings from 7-9 pm.
- Power Lifters: Practices will be taking place on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:15. All power lifters are expected to attend.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes.
- All are invited to the Team Canada Pep Rally on Tuesday, January 22, from 6 to 7:30pm, in the Hambly Room of the Cavendish Farms Wellness Centre in Montague. Alyssa Chapman and Ellen MacNearney will be competing at the 2013 Special Olympics World Winter Games in South Korea and this would be a great opportunity to cheer them on.
- Triathletes: Note that the coaches cannot attend pool training after school today, but you are still able to swim on your own at this time. Please request to join MRHS Triathlon on Facebook as we will post training notices on that site. Ms. Evans-Renaud will be at the pool at 7:15 on Thursday morning for anyone who would like to swim before school. Don’t forget your 15-minute run today as well!
- Wednesday in the Cafeteria: Hula-Hula Chicken on a bed of rice with garlic mashed potatoes, veggies, and a small white milk for $5.50.
- There is a meeting for all members of the Spirit Leader Training Committee on Wednesday at 11:42 in Learning Centre B. Bring your lunches.
- Starting tomorrow, please participate in the Social Silence Campaign. Students are asked to take a vow of silence from all social networking sites to help combat Cyberbullying. Pledge sheets can be found next to the elevator, gym doors and in the upstairs hallway. All we need is your name for a silent fight!
- Due to the Drama presentation on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, there will be no Cafeteria access available for morning break between A and B Blocks on these two days.
- The Culinary class will be serving their last meal for this semester on Thursday of this week. Menu includes crazy coleslaw, whole grain crusty chicken, mac ‘n cheese with broccoli and bacon, whole wheat biscuits, vanilla pudding cake, and banana lemon mint smoothies. All for $8.
From the Library:
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet this Wednesday, at 3:10pm in the library.
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. The Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Student Services Notices:
- UPEI Music Program Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at www.upei.ca/music
- McGill University Deadline for applications: February 1, 2013. All interested students must be sure to submit their application as well as fill out a transcript request form (in student services) prior to this deadline.
- UNB is doing an admission on the Spot event here at the school in the Library on February 27 at 9:30 am. To find out more info about this opportunity or to sign up, please visit Student Services.
- UPEI Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarship Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships except for: The Currie, The Schulich and the H. Harrison McCain. (Do not have to be accepted at UNB to apply). More information available in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013. https://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html
- Explore Program: This program offers students an opportunity to live an extraordinary linguistic and cultural experience in a Francophone institution of their choice for 5 weeks during the summer session or spring session for post secondary students. The bursary of $2,000 covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. The deadline for applying is February 28, 2013.
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.