It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Shirley Stewart!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Jonathan Gallant for Peggy Flynn, Mike Hambly for Charlie Trainor, Kelsea McLean, Patrick Havard for Jared Cheverie, and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy. Congratulations to the Women’s Basketball team. The gals beat Kinkora last night 40 – 31. Monica Furness had 15 points, Alanna VanWiechen had 12 points and Thea Stewart had 5 points. Thea Stewart was player of the game; she played only the last minute and half of the 3 period due to the flu, but scored 5 points and rallied her team to victory.
Your Men’s Basketball Team got a big win last night at home versus Kinkora. The team played strong defense leading to many scoring chances, with 12 of 15 players scoring for the Vikings. Cameron Glover started the charge with 20 first half points, finishing with 24. Mitchel Henderson had 16 points coming off the bench and Jonathon Murphy added 9. Of note: Grade 10 athlete, Joseph Richard, made good on his first career Three-pointer to beat the shot clock late in the second quarter. FINAL SCORE: Vikings 86 Blazers 27.
- Today in the Cafeteria: Stir-fry veggies, rice, egg roll and a small white milk for $5.50.
- Anime and Manga Club is meeting today.
- Small Ensemble will have a quick meeting at the beginning of C Block in Learning Centre A.
- Stop Cyberbullying meeting today during lunch break in the Library Conference room.
- Any Grade 10 French students who are applying for the Quebec exchange next year are reminded that your forms are now due. Please get them in to Mme Flynn by Friday, Jan 11.
- Youth Parliament: If you are a student who has an interest in politics and would like to gain experience in developing public speaking and debating skills, you may be interested in participating as a delegate in PEI’s Model Youth Parliament. If so, you must see Mr. Lea today to declare your interest and pick up an application.
- Triathlon training: There is now a sign up sheet in the fitness room for all members planning on training over the next couple of months. Please sign up and check off the days you have been able to follow the training program. Today after school: weight training – no swimming due to pool maintenance. Friday, day off.
- Dodgeball Today: FTB vs Dodgie Style. The Championship game (winners of the crossovers) is tomorrow, Friday, January 11.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes. Remember that it’s open to Power Lifters only on Fridays after school.
- Friday’s Cafeteria Special: Home-made chili with garlic bun and a small white milk for $5.
- The Culinary students are serving a meal this Friday; get your tickets now! Menu includes Greek salad, homestyle garlic bread, homemade lasagna, lemon drop mousse, pecan pie surprise bars and orange Julius.
- SNAC is selling chicken Caesar wraps with a drink, both for $4, on Tuesday, January 15. You can pre-order your wrap on Thursday and Friday at the ticket booth.
- Harry Potter Club will be meeting next Tuesday at 11:42 in Learning Centre B. All houses must be ready to present their theme park proposals. Your professors look forward to judging. May the best wizards win!
From the Library:
- Kobos are available to be borrowed. There are over 600 books on each e-reader. Please see Ms. MacDougall for one before they all go!
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet on Wednesday, January 16, at 3:10pm in the library.
- Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. The Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Student Services Notices:
- UPEI Music Program: Recommended deadline for applications to the UPEI Music program is February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at www.upei.ca/music
- McGill University: Deadline for applications to McGill University is February 1, 2013. All interested students must be sure to submit their application as well as fill out a transcript request form (in student services) prior to this deadline.
- UPEI Scholarships: Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarships: Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships except for: The Currie, The Schulich and the H. Harrison McCain. (Do not have to be accepted at UNB to apply). More information available in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013. https://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html
- Explore Program: This program offers students an opportunity to live an extraordinary linguistic and cultural experience in a Francophone institution of their choice for 5 weeks during the summer session or spring session for post secondary students. The bursary of $2,000 covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. The deadline for applying is February 28, 2013.
- Next Monday, January 14, reps from UPEI will be coming to the school to do an important info session for any Grade 12 students considering applying to UPEI. Lots of important topics will be discussed like programs available, important deadlines how to apply, scholarships, residence info, etc. It will be held in the library at 9:00. To attend students must: Be eligible to apply to UPEI (Be enrolled in the proper academic courses), have permission from A Block teacher to attend info session, and sign up for the session on the list at Student Services.
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.