It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Lake Daley, Tiana Grant, and Robert Hicken.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Taylor Johnson for Kirk White (pm), Pamela Betteridge for Trisha Burrows, and Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene. Today’s Highlights:
- Europe Travellers: You have a meeting today at 12:00 sharp. Make sure you attend!
- The following students are asked to please see Mr. Lea before the end of the day today: Phoenix McCloud, Thea Stewart and Alysia Docherty.
- Would Caleb Smith, Caleb Harding, Jenna McKeeman and Meghan Byers please see Mme Flynn at first break.
- Youth Parliament: If you are a student who has an interest in politics and would like to gain experience in developing public speaking and debating skills, you may be interested in participating as a delegate in PEI’s Model Youth Parliament. If so, see Mr. Lea before Thursday to declare your interest and pick up an application.
- Come out and cheer on your Women’s and Men’s Basketball teams tonight as they take on Kinkora at 5:30 pm (women) and 7:30 pm (men).
- Triathlon training: There is now a sign up sheet in the fitness room for all members planning on training over the next couple of months. Please sign up and check off the days you have been able to follow the training program. This week’s schedule:
- Wednesday – biking – Fitness Centre
- Thursday – after school – weight training – no swimming due to pool maintenance
- Friday – day off
- Any Grade Ten students interested in competing in midget gymnastics, or Grade Eleven/Twelve students interested in helping coach younger students, please see Ms. Dowd for information.
- Dodgeball Schedule: FTB vs Dodgie Style on Thursday, January 10. Championship game (winners of the crossovers) on Friday, January 11.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes. Remember that it’s open to Power Lifters only on Fridays after school.
Snippits from the Library:
- Kobos are available to be borrowed. There are over 600 books on each e-reader. Please see Ms. MacDougall for one before they all go!
- Anime and Manga Club will meet again this Thursday, January 10.
- Patti Larsen’s Writing Club will meet on Wednesday, January 16, at 3:10pm in the library.
- Congrats to Myles Seeley for winning December’s $10 gift card to Tim Hortons. Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 gift card from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. The Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- The Culinary students are serving a meal this Friday; get your tickets now! Menu includes Greek salad, homestyle garlic bread, homemade lasagna, lemon drop mousse, pecan pie surprise bars and orange Julius.
- Stop Cyberbullying meeting is scheduled for Thursday, during lunch break in the Library Conference room.
- SNAC is selling chicken Caesar wraps with a drink, both for $4, on Tuesday, January 15. You can pre-order your wrap on Thursday and Friday at the ticket booth.
Student Services Notices:
- UPEI Music Program: Recommended deadline for applications to the UPEI Music program is February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at www.upei.ca/music
- McGill University: Deadline for applications to McGill University is February 1, 2013. All interested students must be sure to submit their application as well as fill out a transcript request form (in student services) prior to this deadline.
- UPEI Scholarships: Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarships: Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships except for: The Currie, The Schulich and the H. Harrison McCain. (Do not have to be accepted at UNB to apply). More information available in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013. https://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html
- Explore Program: This program offers students an opportunity to live an extraordinary linguistic and cultural experience in a Francophone institution of their choice for 5 weeks during the summer session or spring session for post secondary students. The bursary of $2,000 covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. The deadline for applying is February 28, 2013.
- On Monday, January 14, reps from UPEI will be coming to the school to do an important info session for any Grade 12 students considering applying to UPEI. Lots of important topics will be discussed like programs available, important deadlines how to apply, scholarships, residence info, etc. It will be held in the library at 9:00. To attend students must: Be eligible to apply to UPEI (Be enrolled in the proper academic courses), have permission from A Block teacher to attend info session, and sign up for the session on the list at Student Services.
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.