It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Spencer Gillis. We also extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over the weekend: Dawna MacLean and Samantha Pirch.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Mary-Ellen Lowther, Katherine MacKenzie-Robertson for Karen Malone, Katherine Huston for Kirk White, and Amanda Trainor for Rod MacDonald.
- Yearbook Supplements: If you ordered a yearbook last year, please come to the Yearbook Office today from 12:00 to 12:25 to pick up your supplement.
- Students are encouraged to submit requests for the Friday Song to the office by Thursday each week. Students who want to request a song must submit a printed copy of the lyrics with your name included.
- Stop Cyberbullying meeting is scheduled for Thursday, during lunch break in the Library Conference room.
- Triathalon training starts today!
- Any Grade Ten students interested in competing in midget gymnastics, or Grade Eleven/Twelve students interested in helping coach younger students, please see Ms. Dowd for information.
- Dodgeball Schedule: Crossover games, Sumthin Foolish vs All Dodge No Balls on Tuesday, January 8; FTB vs Dodgie Style on Thursday, January 10. Championship game (winners of the crossovers) on Friday, January 11.
- The Fitness Centre is open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning, lunch breaks, and most days after school for any students who would like to work out or make up time for their physical education classes. Remember that it’s open to Power Lifters only on Fridays after school.
Snippits from the Library:
- Did you get a Kobo e-reader for Christmas? Do you want to learn how to set it up, load books, share books? Then come to the library tomorrow at noon to learn more. The MRHS library has over 500 ebooks to share and 15 Kobos to lend to students.
- Anime and Manga club will meet again on Thursday, January 10.
- Patti Larsen’s writing club will meet on Wednesday, January 16, at 3:10pm in the library.
- Congrats to Myles Seeley for winning December’s $10 gift card to Tim Hortons. Continue to use your MRHS student ID to check a book out of the library and receive a ballot to win a $10 giftcard from Tim Horton’s, Mcdonald’s, Subway, or Wendy’s. A name is drawn from the ballots on the last day of classes each month. Next draw date is January 31. And the Kobo draw will be in June!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Student Services Notices:
- UPEI Music Program: Recommended deadline for applications to the UPEI Music program is February 1, 2013. More information available on the UPEI website at http://www.upei.ca/music
- UPEI Scholarships: Scholarship and Bursary Applications are now available online! Copies are available online or in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013.
- UNB Scholarships: Applications are now available ONLY online! One application for all scholarships except for: The Currie, The Schulich and the H. Harrison McCain. (Do not have to be accepted at UNB to apply). More information available in Student Services. Deadline: March 1, 2013. https://www.unb.ca/sweb/application/entrance_schol.html
- Explore Program: This program offers students an opportunity to live an extraordinary linguistic and cultural experience in a Francophone institution of their choice for 5 weeks during the summer session or spring session for post secondary students. The bursary of $2,000 covers tuition fees for the course, instructional materials, meals and accommodation. The deadline for applying is February 28, 2013.
- On Monday, January 14, reps from UPEI will be coming to the school to do an important info session for any Grade 12 students considering applying to UPEI. Lots of important topics will be discussed like programs available, important deadlines how to apply, scholarships, residence info, etc. It will be held in the library at 9:00. To attend students must: Be eligible to apply to UPEI (Be enrolled in the proper academic courses), have permission from A Block teacher to attend info session, and sign up for the session on the list at Student Services.
- Holland College will be hosting a Community Night in the Library on January 23 from 6:30 to 7:30. All members of the community are welcome to come and learn more about the many programs and opportunities Holland College has to offer.