It’s a “C-D” Day
Happy Belated Birthday to Rebecca Martell who celebrated her birthday over the weekend.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Carl Evans, Andrew Murchison for Tim Lea (am) and Ralph Jamieson (pm), Donna White for Sandra Hicken, Kelsea McLean for Janet MacDougall-Turner, Jessica Campbell for Anne MacKinnon, Katherine Huston for Kirk White (pm), Sara Prosser from Lynn Hayes, and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy.
Important dates to add to our academic calendar:
- Christmas Dance is on Friday, December 7, 2012. Students are reminded that Student Fees must be paid in order to purchase a dance ticket. (see notes below regarding ticket sales/prices)
- This year’s Prom is on Friday, May 24, 2013.
Missing Grad Write-Ups! (These are past due!) The following students have not submitted write-ups for the Yearbook: Emily Benoit, Jessie Boutilier, Erin Brown, Kelly Butler, Meghan Byers, Jarrett Campbell, Hannah Campion, Bailey Clements, Cody Compton, Tyson Cooper, Lake Daley, Tameka Davidson, Ryan Flaglor, Monica Furness, Kassandra Gavin-Henry, Jessica Godfrey, Caleb Harding, Quinn Hennessey, Christopher Hill, Ryan Hopkins, Hailey Irving, Michael Jamieson, Lucas Jenkins, Morgan Jesso, Jona Johnston, Amber Johnstone, Dakota Jones, Brian Keefe, Dustin Keen, Tyler Kemp, Grace Lanigan, Lydia LaVie, Tyler LeBlanc, Dalton MacDonald, Kelsey MacDonald, Logan MacDonald, Morgan MacKay, Brandon MacKenzie, Hayden MacKinnon, Rosemarie MacLean, Amy MacLennan, Logan MacLeod, Brandon McCarthy, Maggie McCarthy, Edmund McNeill, Carrick McTavish, Alex Morrison, Nicole Myers, Tanner Nicholson, Rachel O’Connor, Sara Peardon, Nicholas Penny, Alex Perrot, Jacob Perry, Mitchell Peters, Krystal Pirch, Joshua Reeves, Brittany Robertson, Alex Smith, Sara Smith, Kirsten Stewart, Patrick Stewart, Joseph Sudsbury, Sarah Thompson, Chandler Tourout, Max White, Melissa Woods, Drew Yorston, and Brian Young.
- Today in the Cafeteria: Cheeseburger basket and a small white milk for $5.
- Today there will be a short meeting in the library conference room right after reading period for the students that attended the first information session about smoking cessation.
- Just a reminder that there will not be Choir or Men’s Ensemble this week.
- JAM would like to thank all of the homerooms who participated in the Operation Christmas Child box competition. We have all made the lives of 68 children better by providing them with their first ever Christmas present!! Way to go, MRHS!!! And now for winners of the competition…… In third place, Ms. MacFarlane’s class, in second place, Ms. Flynn’s class, and in first place, knocking out the reigning champs…… Ms. Malone’s class. These classes will all receive their prizes on Wednesday morning. Congratulations to everyone who participated.
- Students are encouraged to submit requests for the Friday Song to the office by Thursday each week. Students who want to request a song must submit a printed copy of the lyrics with their name on the top.
- Yearbooks are on sale in the yearbook office this week at lunch between 12:00 – 12:25. The last day to purchase in school is November 29. Anyone wishing to purchase a book after that date must go online to order.
- MRHS and the Stop Cyberbullying group are asking all students and staff to visit www.stopcyberbullying.ca and take the pledge to stop cyberbullying. After taking the pledge you will be given the option to “Share Now” which will link you to the Stop Cyberbullying Facebook page. Please take the pledge, spread the word and stop cyberbullying.
- All students are responsible for a $20 Student Fee which is payable at the main office.
- The Women’s and Men’s basketball team bus will depart for Charlottetown Rural at 3:45 pm today.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week of November 19-23 is Brett Birt of Cardigan. Brett, a Grade 12 forward with the Men’s Basketball team, provided a much needed spark of the bench last Wednesday night. Brett pulled down 6 timely rebounds and chipped in with 6 points helping the team to defeat Bluefield AA 42-23 in the season opener.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of November 19-23 is Thea Stewart of Vernon River. Thea is a Grade twelve student. She is a dedicated player who never misses a practice. She has played every position and was solid on defense en route to the team first win over Bluefield last week.
- The Fitness Centre will be open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning for any students who would like to work out. Remember that it’s open to Power Lifters only on Fridays after school.
- MRHS is having a Library fundraiser at Indigo Bookstore on Friday, November 30, from 6 to 9 pm. If any students or staff members are interested in volunteering at the fundraiser, please see the Librarian. The Disney Choir will be performing!
- Over 365 new books have been placed on our Library shelves since September. Another order will be going in soon. Please let the Librarian know your suggestions either in person or on the MRHS Library blog.
- MRHS Book Club meets on Monday, Dec. 3, to decide your book to read for the January meeting.
- MRHS Anime and Manga Club meets on Thursday, December 6.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Students vs Teachers Hockey Night in Montague is Wednesday, November 28, at 7:30pm. $5/ticket
- There is a Little Shop of Horrors rehearsal/meeting for all those involved as stage crew and production crew on Thursday, November 28, at 3:15 in Room 228 (Mr. Nicholson’s room). This is a mandatory meeting.
- Culinary Meals: Reserve Thursday, Nov.29, Thursday, Dec.6, and Thursday, Dec.13 for the next CUL meals.
- Christmas Dance is on Friday, December 7, from 7 to 10 pm. The theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Tickets will be on sale starting today until Monday, December 3 at a reduced cost of $10 or $8.00 with an SPC card. On Tuesday, December 4, and Wednesday, December 5, tickets will be sold at the regular cost of $12.00, no exceptions (no SPC cards will be accepted on these dates). Sign-In contracts and Student Contracts can be picked up from the office or from room #87 and need to be signed by your parents/guardians before tickets can be purchased. All sign-in contracts are due back to Ms. Evans-Renaud by Thursday, November 29, for approval.
- TACO IN A BAG: On Wednesday, November 29, the Student Council will be selling “Tacos in a Bag” in the Foods lab. Cost is $5.00 and it includes a drink. Please come out and enjoy this delicious treat of hamburger, nachos, lettuce, cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
- The Senate Page Program offers positions to students from Universities in Ottawa and the University of Quebec in Gatineau for one year. Interested students are asked to come to student services for more information.
- Holland College will begin offering Early Acceptance in select programs to strong applicants starting November 30, 2012. Visit Student Services for more detailed information on programs.
- The University of Ottawa will be having its Information Evening on Thursday, December 6, 2012, at 7:30 pm. The presentations will be streamed live on the web for parents and students who live outside Ottawa area.