It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Geneva Cahill and Emma MacDonald.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Carl Evans, Kelsea McLean for Janet MacDougall-Turner (am), Dekoda Conohan for Pauline Kelly (am), and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy.
Parent Teacher Interviews are scheduled for this evening and tomorrow. Teachers are available on Thursday evening from 6:00 to 8:30 and on Friday from 9:00 to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 to 3:00 pm.
Lost and Found: A student has misplaced a black Ipod with white headphones. If you have located this missing item, please bring it to the office. Thanks!
- Today in the Cafeteria: Corn chowder with a home style biscuit and small white milk for $5.
- Any students in French (Immersion, Core or Enriched) either semester, who are interested in applying for the Canadian Parents for French (CPF) French Student Excellence Award are asked to see Mme Flynn for an application. This is an excellent opportunity to win a week at the Terry Fox Centre (Encounters with Canada) in Ottawa. Winners will receive a fully paid week (theme of their choice) in the winter session (January-April). For more details see Mme Flynn or Mme McLane.
- The following students are asked to please meet in Ms. Hicken’s room (#87) for a short meeting at first break:Andrea Smith, Mikayla Jackson, Owen Shaw, Ellen Holland, Alyssa Ferguson, Michael Ferguson, Amelia Hameline, Sarah Brothres, Lisa Morrison, Bryce Stewart, and William Henbest.
- There is a JAM meeting in Learning Centre B at the beginning of lunch today.
- Mr. Lea’s Global Issues class is taking part in an Active Citizenship Project, selling 50/50 tickets with proceeds going to local families in need. See Emily Blue, Kandyce Wood, Thea Lavers, Chanel Campbell, Laura Ferguson, or Kristen Williams if you would like to purchase tickets. They are having weekly draws!
- There are a few SPC cards available to purchase. If you are interested please see Mrs. Hicken this week.
- All students are responsible for a $20 Student Fee which is payable at the main office.
- All students interested in working as scorekeepers for Basketball must see Ms. Dowd today. Payment is $10 per game.
- Wrestling Practice: Today from 4:00 to 5:30 at Montague Consolidated School.
- Power Lifters: Wyatt will be at the school today (Thursday) instead of Friday this week. New members who have spoken to Earl Campbell or Mr. Trainor should be in attendance.
- MRHS Badminton Club meets every Sunday from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. All students are welcome.
- Student Teacher Hockey Game: Any students interested in participating in the student-teacher hockey game, please make sure your name is on the sign-up sheet posted on Ms. MacLeod’s door (room #85) by today. “Drafts” will be made next week.
- The Fitness Centre will be open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning for any students who would like to work out. The Fitness Centre will be open to Power Lifters Only on Fridays after school.
- Patti Larsen has generously given the MRHS Library copies of all of her novels in hard copy and e-book format. Run is one of her novels which is in the process of being made into a feature film. Patti’s books are available for loan in the library! This is a reminder of Ms. Larsen’s writer’s club on Wednesday, November 21, at 3pm. If you missed the last meeting, feel free to come and join the group.
- MRHS Library is selling 4 GB or 8 GB flash drives to raise money for new books! Come see the sample in the library and place your order. All orders must be pre-paid by November 23 for delivery in early December. Get your Lizard!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
Stop Cyberbullying News:
- MRHS and the Stop Cyberbullying Group are asking all students and staff to visit www.stopcyberbullying.ca and take the pledge to stop cyberbullying. After taking the pledge you will be given the option to “Share Now” which will link you to the Stop Cyberbullying Facebook page. Please take the pledge, spread the word, and stop cyberbullying.
- “Stop, Block and Tell!” Come to the Library or Cafeteria at lunch today or any day next week to make a brief video of the “Stop, Block and Tell!” steps.
- Stop Cyberbullying Group will meet in the Library on Tuesday, November 20, at noon. Feel free to go and take your lunch. They will be making posters for the “Stop, Block and Tell!” campaign.
- Clothing Drive: This week, students and staff are asked to bring in your unwanted clothes. The Global Issues class will be going around to houses in Montague on November 17 to pick up any clothing left at the end of the driveways. Please donate all the clothing you can to give to local families in need.
- A Representative from Junior Achievement will be here at 11:45 today to recruit students to the Junior Achievement program. All students interested are encouraged to stop by her booth outside the office.
- The Senate Page Program offers positions to students from Universities in Ottawa and the University of Quebec in Gatineau for one year. This may be of interest to bilingual students who are thinking of going to The University of Ottawa, Saint Paul’s University, Carleton University or the University of Quebec in Gatineau. Interested students are asked to come to student services for more information or visit http://www.parl.gc.ca/employment/senate/pageprogram/splash.htm
- Holland College will begin offering Early Acceptance in select programs to strong applicants starting November 30, 2012. The following programs are open to Early Acceptance: Architectural Technology, Bioscience Technology, Construction Technology and Management, Electronics Engineering Technology, Environmental Applied Science Technology, Accounting Technology, Administrative Assistant Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Legal Administration, Marketing and Advertising Management, Medical Support Services, College Foundation Program, Computer Information Systems, Computer Networking Technology, Applied Degree in Culinary Operations, Culinary Arts, International Hospitality Management, Pastry Arts, Dental Assisting, Early Childhood Care and Education, Human Services, Resident Care Worker, Commercial Diving, Power Engineering, Fundamental Arts, Graphic Design, Video Game Art and Animation, Journalism, Photography and Digital Imaging, Basic Firefighting, Correctional Officer, Law and Security, Dance Performance, Music Performance, Performing Arts Foundation, Sport and Leisure Management, Golf Club Management, Professional Golf Management, Tourism and Travel Management, Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Electromechanical Technology, Energy Systems Engineering Technology, Heritage Retrofit Carpentry, Outdoor Power Equipment, Plumbing, Precision Machinist, Steamfitting/Pipefitting, Welding Fabrication, Welding Level 1, Wind Turbine Technician, Wood Manufacturing – Cabinetmaking, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Technology, Aircraft Gas Turbine Engine Repair and Overhaul Technology, Applied Degree in Culinary Operations Distance.
- The University of Ottawa will be having its Information Evening on Thursday, December 6, 2012, at 7:30 pm. The presentations will be streamed live on the web for parents and students who live outside the Ottawa region, so they can also benefit from the important information and advice to be covered. The information will focus on the undergraduate studies admissions process for high school students, important deadlines and ways to increase scholarship and bursary potential. Presentations will also be available on their website after the event. Please visit http://www.admission.uottawa.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=3566 for more details.
- Saint Mary’s University will be having an open house on Saturday, November 17, and November 23. The open house will take place on the Saint Mary’s Campus and will run from 9:00am to 12:00pm. All interested students can go to the following link for more information: http://www.smu.ca/openhouse/welcome.html
- Oulton College will be hosting an open house to celebrate 56 years of post-secondary education. The event will taken place on Thursday, November 22, 2012, at 4 Flanders Court, Moncton, NB. Time: 2:00 p.m. Please RSVP before November 19, 2012, by contacting Jessica Whalen at email@example.com