It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Andrew Murchison for Ralph Jamieson (pm), Kayla Coady for Craig Conohan, and Wanda Cheverie for Yvonne Higgins.
- Octoberfest continues! To help celebrate Octoberfest this week in school, we will be having a Hallowe’en Door Decorating contest. All week, students may bring in supplies to decorate their home-room door. Judging will take place on Friday and the winning home-room class will receive a special treat! So start your decorating!
- Tuesday: Hick Day (How “hick” are you?)
- Wednesday: Costume Day
- Thursday: ER Day
- Friday: Rock the Jock Day (bring in sports equipment for your teacher to wear)
- Today in the Cafeteria: Sweet & Sour Meatballs with rice, egg roll and small white milk for $5.
- There will be a SNAC meeting at the start of lunch in Learning Center B.
- Ms. Beck’s D Block co-op class should go to the library for class today.
- ABC Club (Anti-Bullying Club) is starting up. First meeting is today at 12:00 in the Library Conference room. Spread the word and help others stand up to bullying.
- The Breakfast Club is now up and running, but volunteers are desperately needed for Thursday and Friday. See Ms. Anderson if interested.
- School clothes are now on sale at MRHS. Samples are available and order forms can be picked up in Room #87 and all orders and money have to be returned by Friday, November 9, in order to arrive in time for Christmas. Order forms can also be seen at https://montaguehigh.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/clothing-order-form.pdf.
- All Student Fees can now be paid at the main office.
- High school students must have permission to go to Montague Intermediate School. If you go without permission, you will be asked to leave.
- The MRHS Athlete of the Week for the week of October 22-27 is Will Buell of Murray River. Will is a Grade twelve student who plays in the midfield for the Men’s Soccer team. Will’s footwork, vision, and ability to make a difference both offensively and defensively have made him a key player in every game this season. Will played his best game of the season in the Men’s 2-0 quarterfinal defeat of Westisle on Monday.
- Congratulations to Ellen MacNearney for winning “Athlete of the Year” with Special Olympics PEI.
- Any Field Hockey or Soccer players who still have uniforms should hand them in to Ms. Dowd today or as soon as possible.
- The Women’s Volleyball team takes on Souris tonight in quarterfinal action. The team bus will depart at 4 pm for their 5:15 pm game. Go out and cheer them on to victory!
- The Men’s Volleyball team takes on Charlottetown Rural today in quarterfinal action. The bus will depart at 4:30 pm for their 6:30 pm game. Come out and cheer on your fellow Vikings!
- Tryouts for the Men’s Basketball Team will begin this Thursday and Friday, running 3:30 to 5:00 pm on both days. All are encouraged to attend!
- Congratulations to the following athletes on being named league and provincial tournament all stars!
- Field Hockey:
- Hannah Gormley – Provincial Tournament All Star
- Hannah Nabuurs – Provincial Tournament All Star
- Alyssa Ferguson – League All Star
- Hope Higginbotham – League All Star
- Lily Klein – League All Star
- Men’s Soccer:
- Nick Lund – League All Star
- Dalton MacDonald – League All Star
- Women’s Volleyball:
- Heather Drake – League All Star
- Cassie MacLean – League All Star
- Men’s Volleyball:
- Brett Birt – League All Star
- Field Hockey:
- The Fitness Centre will be open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning for any students who would like to work out. The Fitness Centre will be open to Power Lifters Only on Fridays after school.
- Great News! The SAVE (Students Against Violence Everywhere) is returning to MRHS! The SAVE group will be working together in our school and community to promote health relationships and raise awareness about relationship violence. If you’re interested in joining this awesome group or want to learn more about it, please sign-up in the Guidance Office and attend our first meeting on Wednesday, November 7, at 11:45am in Student Services! Feel free to bring you lunch!
- The following schools are scheduled to visit MRHS in November. Sign up sheets to attend these sessions are on Ms. Coady’s door in Student Services.
- Holland College on November 5 at 11:45am
- Acadia University on November 8 at 9:00am, offering “admission on the spot” with no application fee!
- Saint Mary’s University on November 26 at 11:45am
- Dalhousie University on November 27 at 9:15am
- University of New Brunswick: A representative will be at the Delta in Charlottetown on November 6 at 7:00 pm to speak with students, parents and guardians about UNB programs, scholarships, campus life and more. This event will have Admission on the Spot, prizes including tuition credits and Ipad! Students interested in Admission on the Spot must bring a current transcript, a completed application form, and $55 application fee.
- Canadian College of Massage Therapy: Open House on Saturday, November 3, 2012, from 9:00 to 3:00 pm. Contact number is on the bulletin board in Student Services.
- Canadian Coast Guard: The selection processes for the Canadian Coast Guard College Officer Training Program (OTP) is currently open with a deadline of January 18, 2013. For more information, visit student services.
- MRHS Library is selling 4 GB or 8 GB flash drives to raise money for new books! Come see the sample in the library and place your order. All orders must be pre-paid by November 23 for delivery in early December. Get your Lizard!
- Anime & Manga Club meets on Thursday, November 1. Bring your lunch and look at the new books that have arrived!
- Book club meets on Monday, November 5 at noon. Bring your lunch and your favorite book!
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the Library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Wednesday in the Cafeteria: Perogies, Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Burgers, Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Wedges and Chicken Strips (limited amounts).
- School clothes are now being ordered and we have sizes for you to try. Come to room #87 for more information or check the table at noon starting today.
- Global Action Club meets tomorrow in Room 211.
- Culinary Meal on Wednesday, October 31: Brie soup, soft pretzels, tri-colour rotini, pesto/alfredo sauce (contains pine nuts), Hallowe’en festive cupcakes, witches’ fingers, and bug/beetlejuice punch. Price $8.
- The MRHS Harry Potter Club will be having its first meeting of the year on Wednesday, October 31. Do you know what amortentia is? Do you have a love-hate relationship with Severus Snape? Do you know how to get into the Hogwarts kitchens? Do you know what to say to make the Marauder’s Map reveal itself? Could you get past fluffy? Would you really like to play quidditch? Do you have any idea what this all means? Then Harry Potter Club is the place for you!!! Apparate to Learning Centre B on Wednesday at 11:45 (bring your lunch) to help us start planning the year!
- Peer Helpers: There will be block meetings this week, on Thursday, November 1.