It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Dean Carroll, Cody Forrester, and Amber Quinn.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Kelsea McLean for Sandra Hicken, Brian Somers for Craig Norton, Donna White for Janet MacDougall-Turner, Katherine Huston for Kirk White (pm), and Zak Likely for Tim Lea.
- Change in lunch times: Today, lunch will start at 11:30 and end at 12:30. Note that the Cafeteria will be closed at 12:15 and for afternoon break due to the Postsecondary Day.
- Today in the Cafeteria: Perogies, Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Burgers, Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Wedges and Chicken Strips (Limited Amounts)
- Due to Mrs. Hicken’s absence today, Peer Help Block meetings will be held on Thursday this week. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Global Action Club will meet today at 12:00 noon in Room 211.
- Photo Club: Meet today in Room 221 at 12:00 noon and after school on Thursday in Room 221.
- Culinary Meal tomorrow: Guacamole, baked pita chips, chicken quesadillas, homemade salsa, Mexican red rice, flan Mexicano, and mock margaritas. All for $8. Please reserve your meal for Thursday today during lunch at the ticket booth. Last week was SOLD OUT, so don’t delay and reserve today!
- Little Shop of Horrors Auditions will take place this week after school. Check the posted schedule.
- Student Council would like to extend a thank you to all students and teachers who have been donating money to their sponsor child, Juan Vanegas. So far, we have been able to support him for three months. Great job, Vikings!
- All Student Fees can now be paid at the main office.
- High school students must have permission to go to Montague Intermediate School. If you go without permission, you will be asked to leave.
- Brett Birt, please see Ms. Dowd immediately following announcements.
- Congratulations to MRHS Athlete of the Week, Heather Drake! Heather is a Grade 12 student from Cardigan and is the captain of the Women’s Volleyball team. She is a leader on and off the court and is known for her drive and desire to win. Heather was instrumental in key victories over Morell and Souris last week.
- Women’s Basketball: Anyone interested in playing Women’s Basketball should attend a meeting today at 12:00 noon.
- The Men’s Soccer team will depart at 1:30 pm for their semifinal game vs. Charlottetown Rural. Game time is 3:30 pm at the Cornwall Turf. Come out and cheer on the Vikings!
- The Field Hockey team takes on Charlottetown Rural today in the championship game at UPEI at 6 pm. Come out and cheer them on to victory!
- Women’s Volleyball: Practice times are today from 3:30 to 5:30 and Thursday from 4:00 to 6:00. On Monday, there will be a meeting at 3:30 with practice following from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. All are expected to attend these practices! If you are not in attendance on Monday, you won’t be playing in playoffs.
- The Viking Strength and Conditioning Club invites all students who are interested in improving their physical fitness to participate in sessions held in the fitness centre every Wednesday evening at 6 pm and Saturday morning at 10 am. New members are welcome! The first session will begin on October 27.
- The Fitness Centre will be open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning for any students who would like to work out. The Fitness Centre will be open to Power Lifters Only on Fridays after school, and on Monday, October 29, as the Power Lifting Team prepares for their first meet.
- MRHS is holding its annual Postsecondary Day today. Over 50 representatives from most universities and colleges in Atlantic Canada and other career related presenters will be here from 1:00 pm to 3:15 pm. Grade 12 students will have access to representatives for the entire time. Grade 11 students will have access from 2:15 to 3:00. If students finish chatting with reps early they must return to class to reduce congestion in the cafeteria. Grade 10 students are welcome to visit the tables during break. Grade 10 students needing extra time must get advance permission from administration or Mr. Conohan or Ms Coady. This will be a good opportunity to meet with people who can answer your questions about their institutions, the application process, early admission, apprenticeship opportunities, etc.
- Crandall University will be hosting an open house on November 17 from 1:00 to 3:30 in the afternoon. For more information please call (toll free 1-888-968-6228), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website at http://www.crandallu.ca
- Acadia University will be here to speak with our students and to offer admission on the spot on November 8 at 9:00 am. A representative will speak with our students and students only need to come with a filled out application! This is a great opportunity to find out if you have been accepted right then and there! Note that “admission on the spot” is free.
- University of New Brunswick representative will be at the Delta in Charlottetown on November 6 at 7:00 pm to speak with students, parents and guardians about UNB programs, scholarships, campus life and more. This event will have admission on the spot, prizes including tuition credits and Ipad! Students interested in Admission on the Spot must bring a current transcript, a completed application form, and $55 application fee.
- The selection processes for the Canadian Coast Guard College Officer Training Program (OTP) is currently open with a deadline of January 18, 2013. For more information, visit student services.
- MRHS writer’s group is meeting today at 3:10 in the Library. The group will meet on the third Wednesday of every month. If you haven’t signed up yet please see the librarian or come on the 24th.
- MRHS Library is selling 4 GB or 8 GB flash drives to raise money for new books! Come see the sample in the library and place your order. All orders must be pre-paid by November 23 for delivery in early December. Get your Lizard!
- Design a bookmark for the library and win 1 of 3 gift cards from Indigo Bookstore. Deadline is Friday, October 26. See the librarian for the bookmark form.
- Anime & Manga Club meets on Thursday, November 1. Bring your lunch and look at the new books that have arrived!
- Book club meets on Monday, November 5 at noon. Bring your lunch and your favorite book!
- New Scholastic book orders are available in the Library. Orders are due back today.
- If you have suggestions for new magazines or books to be ordered please speak with the librarian. An order is being sent out at the end of the month.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the Library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Europe Travellers are reminded that magazine/catologue orders are due TOMORROW. Make sure to get them in. Also, you’ll meet tomorrow at 12:00 in Mme Flynn’s room to launch the final fundraising campaign: frozen cookie dough, sure to be a winner!
- Culinary Meal on Wednesday, October 31: Brie soup, soft pretzels, tri-colour rotini, pesto/alfredo sauce (contains pine nuts), Hallowe’en festive cupcakes, witches’ fingers, and bug/beetlejuice punch. Price $8.
- Heckberts Studio will be here, at the school, this Friday to collect grad photo orders.
- Wayne Lee, the hypnotist, will be at Montague High on October 29 at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $7.00 in advance or $8.00 at the door. Tickets can be purchased from CSLC participants, Student Council, or from Mrs. Hicken in Room #87.
Halloween Xperience 2: Flashback – a not so scary musical. They are back and there is going to be trouble! This Jonah Anderson production is being presented at Kings Playhouse on October 26 and 27. Admission price is $10.50 for Seniors/Students/Children and $20 for Adults.
PEI 2014 Inc. recently announced that three Island high school students will have the opportunity to help plan the year-long tribute to the 150th anniversary of the 1864 Charlottetown Conference as members of the PEI 2014 Community Advisory Committee. This is an exciting volunteer opportunity for Grade 10 students. For more information, please visit www.pei2014.ca/youth or check the flyer available at the main office. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 2, 2012.