It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Logan MacDonald and Cheryl McManus.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Mary Ellen Lowther, Kevin Scully for Kim Mason, Jonathan Gallant for Kristina McLane, Amy Mutch for Kelly Pike, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Eric VanWiechen for Amy Beck, and Natasha Doiron for Glenda McInnis (pm).
The Men’s Soccer team defeated Westisle 2-0 in quarterfinal action last night. Curtis Martell had both goals and Brent Gilbert recorded the shut out. The men will take on Charlottetown Rural in the semi-finals on Wednesday at 6 pm in Cornwall.
The Women’s Field Hockey team defeated Bluefield 3-0 in semifinal action last night. Alyssa Ferguson, Chloe Chapman, and Mikayla McGuirk scored for MRHS and Jessie McCarthy had the shut out. The field hockey team will play Charlottetown Rural in the Championship game on Wednesday at UPEI at 6 pm. The field hockey team and coaches would like to thank the fans at last night’s game!
- Today in the Cafeteria: Chicken Panzerotti with veggie-pasta salad and small white milk $5.00
- Ms. Trainor’s B Block HAL class will be meeting in the classroom today.
- A pair of black framed glasses in a Vogue Optical case was found in the upstairs hall yesterday afternoon. If you are missing your glasses, please check at the main office.
- CSLC students who attended the conference in Saskatchewan are reminded of your meeting this evening from 6:00-9:00.
- Culinary Meal Thursday, October 25: Guacamole, baked pita chips, chicken quesadillas, homemade salsa, Mexican red rice, flan Mexicano, and mock margaritas. All for $8. Please note the change of date.Please reserve your meal for Thursday today at lunch at the ticket booth. Last week was SOLD OUT, so don’t delay and reserve today!
- Little Shop of Horrors Auditions will take place this week after school. Students can sign up outside of the music room.
- All Student Fees can now be paid at the main office.
- High school students must have permission to go to Montague Intermediate School. If you go without permission, you will be asked to leave.
- Congratulations to MRHS Athlete of the Week, Heather Drake! Heather is a Grade 12 student from Cardigan and is the captain of the Women’s Volleyball team. She is a leader on and off the court and is known for her drive and desire to win. Heather was instrumental in key victories over Morell and Souris last week.
- There will be a meeting today for all those interested in Athletic Council at 12:05 in Ms. Dowd’s office (Room 247).
- Women’s Basketball: Anyone interested in playing Women’s Basketball is advised that there will be a meeting on Wednesday at 12 o’clock.
- The Viking Strength and Conditioning Club invites all students who are interested in improving their physical fitness to participate in sessions held in the fitness centre every Wednesday evening at 6 pm and Saturday morning at 10 am. New members are welcome! The first session will begin on October 27.
- The Fitness Centre will be open from 8:10 to 8:40 every morning for any students who would like to work out. The Fitness Centre will be open to Power Lifters Only on Fridays after school, and on Monday, October 29, as the Power Lifting Team prepares for their first meet.
- Crandall University will be hosting an open house on November 17 from 1:00 to 3:30 in the afternoon. For more information please call (toll free 1-888-968-6228), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website at http://www.crandallu.ca
- Acadia University will be here to speak with our students and to offer admission on the spot on November 8 at 9:00 am. A representative will speak with our students and students only need to come with a filled out application! This is a great opportunity to find out if you have been accepted right then and there! Note that “admission on the spot” is free.
- University of New Brunswick representative will be at the Delta in Charlottetown on November 6 at 7:00 pm to speak with students, parents and guardians about UNB programs, scholarships, campus life and more. This event will have admission on the spot, prizes including tuition credits and Ipad! Students interested in Admission on the Spot must bring a current transcript, a completed application form, and $55 application fee.
- The selection processes for the Canadian Coast Guard College Officer Training Program (OTP) is currently open with a deadline of January 18, 2013. For more information, visit student services.
- MRHS is holding its annual Postsecondary Day tomorrow. Over 50 representatives from most universities and colleges in Atlantic Canada and other career related presenters will be here from 1:00 pm to 3:15 pm. Grade 12 students will have access to representatives for the entire time. Grade 11 students will have access from 2:15 to 3:00. If students finish chatting with reps early they must return to class to reduce congestion in the cafeteria. Grade 10 students are welcome to visit the tables during break. Grade 10 students needing extra time must get advance permission from administration or Mr. Conohan or Ms Coady. This will be a good opportunity to meet with people who can answer your questions about their institutions, the application process, early admission, apprenticeship opportunities, etc.
- Congratulations to the students who were selected for volunteer placements at the Kings County Memorial Hospital for this year! Students must pick up a Community Service Bursary Contract from student services ASAP. Training for hospital volunteers will begin today at 3:30pm at the hospital in the boardroom. Orientation will take place every Tuesday after that for the next 4 weeks.
- MRHS writer’s group is meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) at 3:10 in the Library. The group will meet on the third Wednesday of every month. If you haven’t signed up yet please see the librarian or come on the 24th.
- MRHS Library is selling 4 GB or 8 GB flash drives to raise money for new books! Come see the sample in the library and place your order. All orders must be pre-paid by November 23 for delivery in early December. Get your Lizard!
- Design a bookmark for the library and win 1 of 3 gift cards from Indigo Bookstore. Deadline is Friday, October 26. See the librarian for the bookmark form.
- Anime & Manga Club meets on Thursday, November 1. Bring your lunch and look at the new books that have arrived!
- Book club meets on Monday, November 5 at noon. Bring your lunch and your favorite book!
- New Scholastic book orders are available in the Library. Orders are due back on October 25.
- If you have suggestions for new magazines or books to be ordered please speak with the librarian. An order is being sent out at the end of the month.
- Forgot your pen or pencil? Come to the Library and buy a pen or pencil for $1. All proceeds going to purchasing new books for the library.
- Wednesday in the Cafeteria: Perogies, Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Burgers, Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Wedges and Chicken Strips (Limited Amounts)
- Global Action Club will meet on Wednesday (tomorrow) at 12:00 noon in Room 211.
- Europe travellers are reminded that the magazine/catolog orders are due this Thursday to Mme Flynn.
- Culinary Meal on Wednesday, October 31: Brie soup, soft pretzels, tri-colour rotini, pesto/alfredo sauce (contains pine nuts), Hallowe’en festive cupcakes, witches’ fingers, and bug/beetlejuice punch. Price $8.
- Heckberts Studio will be here, at the school, this Friday to collect grad photo orders.
- Wayne Lee, the hypnotist, will be at Montague High on October 29 at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $7.00 in advance or $8.00 at the door. Tickets can be purchased from CSLC participants, Student Council, or from Mrs. Hicken in Room #87.
Student Special: Total Assets Fitness is offering a special for students on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays as a day special for only 5 bucks! Or you can get a weekend pass for just 11 dollars! This offer is for a limited time only, ‘til the end of November. Come on out!
Grade 10 Students: PEI 2014 Inc. recently announced that three Island high school students will have the opportunity to help plan the year-long tribute to the 150th anniversary of the 1864 Charlottetown Conference as members of the PEI 2014 Community Advisory Committee. This is an exciting volunteer opportunity for Grade 10 students. For more information, please visit www.pei2014.ca/youth or check the flyer available at the main office. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 2, 2012.