It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Brielle Ansems, Winnifred Daley, Jason Fitzpatrick and Dakota Llewellyn.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Martin Zver for Glenda McInnis, Mike Hambly for Karen Malone, Donna White for Sandra Hicken, Justin Simard for Peggy Flynn, Anne Marie MacDonald for Yvonne Higgins, and Tracy Schurman for Kelly Matheson.
Congratulations to the Men’s and Women’s Rugby teams on well-played games against Charlottetown Rural last evening.
● Culinary is providing another meal on Friday; sign up today in the main lobby. Cost is $7 and menu includes butternut squash soup, bread sticks, sticky chicken and risotto, chilled raspberry cheesecake and picnic fruit punch. Don’t miss out!
● Environment Club will be set up in the lobby today and Friday at noon taking orders for water bottles. Cost is $5 each and bottles should be paid for at time of order.
● Potential Grads are reminded to pick up your Viking Pin applications in the main office.
● Get your Prom tickets! Tickets will be sold every day at lunch time (ticket booth) until next Wednesday, May 16. Tickets are $20 each and you must have your student fee paid, prom contract signed and returned to the office, and if signing someone in, sign-in sheet completed and approved by the administration.
● Island author Michael Corney will be speaking in the library today during C and D blocks. He will be discussing his novel Gift of Six and his trivia game.
● MRHS has been challenged! Schools in the area are raising money for Cystic Fibrosis Canada and we’ve been challenged to see who can raise the most! To do this, MRHS is having a walk on Monday, May 14, at lunchtime. See Mrs. MacDougall-Turner for pledge sheets. Students who raise $25 or over for CF get to stay out on an extended lunch on the 14th. Rain date is the 15th.
● Triathlon athletes are to meet in Learning Centre A today at 11:45am.
● Any students interested in becoming certified soccer referees please see Ms. Dowd (by Wednesday of next week) for details.
● Track and Field practice on Wednesday and Friday at 3:30 this week. No Saturday practice this week. All athletes should attend.
● All Women’s Hockey players looking to buy jackets: if you have no already done so, please see Ms. Coady to confirm sizes and have money in no later than Friday.
● Men’s and Women’s Softball team photos will be taken tomorrow. Be on the field at 4:00 pm sharp.
● SNAC will be selling veggies tomorrow for $1. Check it out in the Cafeteria!
● Ravensburg College in Halifax, offering a two year diploma in law enforcement foundations, is holding an open house on May 24 from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.
● CSLC participants are going to hold a Battle of the Bands Competition on Thursday, May 31, starting at 7:00 pm. If you belong to a band and would like to compete, you can pick up a registration form from Ms. MacLeod, Mrs. Hicken, or Ms. Beck. The last day to register your band is Friday, May 18, and only the first 10 bands to will be competing, so register early.
Attention Grade 10 and 11 Students:
Applications are now available for the 2012/13 (next school year) Encounters With Canada Program, Canada’s largest youth forum! Students selected for the program spend an amazing week in Ottawa with 120 to148 teens from across Canada (ages 14-17) where they discover their country through each other, learn about Canadian institutions, meet famous and accomplished Canadians, explore exciting career options, develop their civic leadership skills and live an extraordinary experience. Every year MRHS students return from Encounters raving about how amazing their week was! 10 Spots are available for our school. If you would like to find out more about the program or pick up an application, stop by Student Services. Application Deadline is May 31.
Next Week is Spring Fling! The home room with the most participants for each day will, at the end of the week, win cookies, cupcakes and other goodies. The week is as follows:
● Monday: Light and Bright: Dress is light and bright colours!
● Tuesday: Crayon Day: Dress in only one colour! Hypnotist Show starts at 7:00 pm, tickets are $7.
● Wednesday: Pancake Breakfast: a small donation for a plate of pancakes. Hillbilly Day: Whip out the flannel, coveralls, and straw hats!
● Thursday: Twin Day: You and a friend show up as twins!
● Friday: Generation Day: Grade 10′s dress as babies; Grade 11′s dress as adults; Grade 12′s dress as seniors.