It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Keith Nabuurs. We also extend belated greetings to the following students who had their birthdays over the weekend: Daniel Buchanan-Smith, Kaitlin McManus, Ricky Lee MacLeod, Sophie Martell, Ben Lanigan and Maggie McCarthy.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Martin Zver for Karen Malone, Trevor MacDonald for Andrew Henderson (am), Mike Hambly for Christie Beck (pm), Kelly Doran for Peggy Flynn, and Wanda Cheverie for Pauline Kelly.
Congratulations to the MRHS Music Department who travelled to Halifax to participate in Atlantic Music Festival this past weekend and took home some serious “bling”. The Choir received silver, and the Women’s Ensemble, Small Ensemble, Jazz Band and Concert Band all received gold. This is a school record. Go Music Department!
● Prom Committee: Remember your Prom ticket selling times. If you can’t remember see Ms. Arbing and she will refresh your memory! Also, there will be a Prom meeting Tuesday at 11:45 in room 84.
● Get your Prom tickets! Tickets will be sold everyday at lunch time from today until next Wednesday May 16th in the ticket booth. Tickets are $20 each and you must have your student fee paid, prom contract signed and returned to the office, and if signing someone in, sign-in sheet completed and approved by the administration.
● The Global Action Club will meet today at 12:10 in Room 211 (Mr. Lea).
● CSLC Participants please pick up your gift card orders in Room 87 if you haven’t already done so.
● The Environmental Club will be selling steel water bottles with MRHS logos on them to help reduce the amount of plastic water bottles being used in our school. Reusable water bottles significantly reduce the amount of waste in our school. They will be sold for 5 dollars over the next week. We are going to ask that home room teachers pass around the sign-up sheet in their mailbox. Money will be collected on May 9.
● Lost and Found: Two ladies’ rings were found in the school. If you are missing one, please check with Kelly in the office. Also, a blue water bottle was found in Ms. Malone’s room last week. If you are missing it you can pick it up in the office.
● MRHS has been challenged! Schools in the area are raising money for Cystic Fibrosis Canada and we’ve been challenged to see who can raise the most! To do this, MRHS is having a walk on Monday, May 14, at lunchtime. See Mrs. MacDougall-Turner for pledge sheets. Students who raise $25 or over for CF get to stay out on an extended lunch on the 14th. Rain date is the 15th.
● Congratulations to the Women’s Softball team on defeating Colonel Gray to win the Colonel Gray Tip Off Tournament this past weekend. All players participating showed amazing skills and tremendous leadership! Thanks girls!
● Congratulations to the Men’s Softball team on a well-played tournament this weekend at Colonel Gray. The men lost to Bluefield in the championship game.
● On Thursday, the Men’s Rugby team lost a close game to Colonel Gray 12-8. The men take on Souris today at 6 pm in Souris.
● The Women’s Rugby team lost 15-0 to Colonel Gray on Thursday. The women take on Souris today at 5 pm in Souris. The rugby bus leaves for Souris today at 3:30 pm. All Women’s Rugby players are to meet in Mr. Munn’s room for lunch to prep for your game tonight.
● Girl’s Fitness Group will meet tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. in the PE area.
● There is a track and field sign-up sheet posted by the PE bulletin board. All track and field athletes should sign up on the List of Athletes and the Event Sign UP.
● Any Men’s Rugby players who did not fully pay for your jackets, please see Devin before May 9. (Kole McNeill, Ryley Somers, Tanner Nicholson, Spencer Ross, William Buell)
● All Women’s Hockey players looking to buy jackets: if you have no already done so, please see Ms. Coady to confirm sizes and have money in no later than Friday.
● Any student interested in attending Camp Abby or applying to be a counselor in training at Camp Abegweit please see the Guidance office for more info. or applications. The application deadling is May 25.
● Holland College is offering new programs at the Summerside Waterfront Campus starting September of 2012: Legal Administration – 42 week accelerated program, and Computer Information Systems (with e-health components) – two year program. Please see the Guidance office for more information.
● The Atlantic Vet College is hosting a one week summer academy for students interested in pursuing a degree in veterinary medicine. Students must be accepted into University, have academic grades in the 80% plus range, and be 18 or older by August 5. For more info come to Student Services.
● Upcoming Scholarships:
1. Provincial ASAP Award – May 15th
2. Hockey PEI Lorenzeitti Award – May 18th
3. Hockey PEI Scholastic Award – May 18th
4. PEI Mutual Life Scholarship – May 18th
● There will be a Student Loan Information Session for all parents and students looking to apply for Provincial Student Loans. The session will be held on Wednesday, May 9, at 6:00pm in the Library. All students interested in attending please see Mr. Conohan or Ms. Coady in student services to sign up.
● There will be a Prom meeting Tuesday at 11:45 in room 84.
● There will be a very important SADD meeting on Tuesday at 12 noon in Room 224 (Mr. Jamieson).
● Peer Helpers: There will be block meetings for all peer helpers on Wednesday, May 9th.
● There will be a very short meeting for ALL CSLC participants on Wednesday, May 9th in room #87 at 11:45. Please attend!!
● The Town of Montague is holding a Miss Montague Pageant as part of the Montague Summer Days Festival. The pageant will take place the weekend of June 22-24th at the Montague waterfront. Miss Montague contestants need to be between 14 and 18 years of age. Applications are available here at the main office, to be returned to the Wellness Centre in person or by fax.